Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   A bit of a predicament... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/bit-predicament-116833/)

AK Fresh Water 10-12-2012 03:44 AM

A bit of a predicament...

So one of my newer friends overheard me saying that upside down catfish are my favorite freshwater fish. A couple days later, she surprises me in class saying that she went out and got 2 of them for me.
I knew the LFS had them for sale, but did not purchase them because I do not believe my tank is large enough to house them.
Anyways, she bought me 2 of them... I know they are a schooling fish. My tank is only 10 gallons and unfortunately the university dorms do not allow for anything larger. The fish are currently staying with someone else she knows because I turned them down. From what I've heard though, the conditions are grotesque.
Would they be ok if they stayed in my tank? I realize 10 gals isn't ideal. I would get 2 more to keep them company. I'm starting to think my tank would make a better home for them. I have a good amount of plants and a betta. The person taking care of the cats now doesn't know what they are doing. They are mixing several goldfish with tropical fish. I asked for the size of the tank and it sounds like 10 or 20 gals. Ughhh! I'm upset at her for putting me in this situation. It's not fair to the fish!

1077 10-12-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK Fresh Water (Post 1272637)
So one of my newer friends overheard me saying that upside down catfish are my favorite freshwater fish. A couple days later, she surprises me in class saying that she went out and got 2 of them for me.
I knew the LFS had them for sale, but did not purchase them because I do not believe my tank is large enough to house them.
Anyways, she bought me 2 of them... I know they are a schooling fish. My tank is only 10 gallons and unfortunately the university dorms do not allow for anything larger. The fish are currently staying with someone else she knows because I turned them down. From what I've heard though, the conditions are grotesque.
Would they be ok if they stayed in my tank? I realize 10 gals isn't ideal. I would get 2 more to keep them company. I'm starting to think my tank would make a better home for them. I have a good amount of plants and a betta. The person taking care of the cats now doesn't know what they are doing. They are mixing several goldfish with tropical fish. I asked for the size of the tank and it sounds like 10 or 20 gals. Ughhh! I'm upset at her for putting me in this situation. It's not fair to the fish!

Adding more fish to ten gal tank, will only increase the amount of waste by the fish and possibly more food's offered.
The fish mentioned grow's too large for ten gal tank and does indeed do better in group's which ten gallon's does not allow room for.
Fish may be small now, but fish have bothersome habit of growing larger,space permitting.

fish monger 10-12-2012 07:51 AM

If your tank and the other tank are the only current options, your tank sounds like the best. Maybe keep them until you can rehome them or take them back. I wouldn't add more. Treat this as a temporary situation and just do the best you can in the interim.

Byron 10-12-2012 11:15 AM

I fully concur with 1077. But...this is a case where the better of two inappropriate situations may be best. At least they will be better off with you for the time being. And perhaps you can arrange for a good local store to take them? Or another aquarist (do you have a local fish club?)?

AK Fresh Water 10-12-2012 01:41 PM

Thanks everyone. I think I just needed to hear someone tell me that my tank is inappropriate for these fish. I wanted them badly, but I turned them down because I knew it was wrong. I will push for her to return them to the store.

eug 10-13-2012 01:04 PM

I can't bear the idea of people giving people pets as presents, be it a fish or a dog.

"Here, I heard you like animals so I'm going to dump a huge responsibility on you that you didn't ask for or are likely to be able to take on without making serious life changes!"

fish monger 10-13-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eug (Post 1273808)
I can't bear the idea of people giving people pets as presents, be it a fish or a dog.

"Here, I heard you like animals so I'm going to dump a huge responsibility on you that you didn't ask for or are likely to be able to take on without making serious life changes!"

Yes, you really have to be sure before giving such a gift. It's not something with which you should surprise someone. Most of us say"I'd sure like to have this or I'd sure like to do thsi". It doesn't mean we can accommodate at the time. That being said, it was a sweet gesture from a person who just didn't understand.