Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   This is pretty funny (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/pretty-funny-116810/)

CallieDee 10-11-2012 09:30 PM

This is pretty funny

I have an amazing Blood Parrot Cichlid, Paco, who is incredibly shy 90% of the time, but when he actually comes out he's hilarious.

Ok so I did a sand vacuum and water change tonight and rearranged my decor. Paco isn't in his normal hiding space, but he is doing something I've seen before: He is shoveling sand! There is a hiding spot underneath my fake driftwood piece and it's never big enough for Paco so he gets in there, seemingly grabs sand in his mouth and then shoots it out of the area.

So here is my question: Is this normal? Have any of you other Blood Parrot owners witnessed their BP "shoveling" sand out of their special place? He's a weird little dude.

madyotto 10-12-2012 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CallieDee (Post 1272308)
I have an amazing Blood Parrot Cichlid, Paco, who is incredibly shy 90% of the time, but when he actually comes out he's hilarious.

Ok so I did a sand vacuum and water change tonight and rearranged my decor. Paco isn't in his normal hiding space, but he is doing something I've seen before: He is shoveling sand! There is a hiding spot underneath my fake driftwood piece and it's never big enough for Paco so he gets in there, seemingly grabs sand in his mouth and then shoots it out of the area.

So here is my question: Is this normal? Have any of you other Blood Parrot owners witnessed their BP "shoveling" sand out of their special place? He's a weird little dude.

this sounds awesome to watch lol

AndrewM21 10-18-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CallieDee (Post 1272308)

The blood parrot is a form of cichlid (even though it's a hybrid). Therefore they retained some of the natural characteristics of it's counter-part, once being moving substrate to build nests/hiding places.

Stoke88 10-19-2012 01:06 PM

My Oscars used to move gravel all the time. It was great to watch. Its normal for cichlids to do this.

CallieDee 10-19-2012 01:18 PM

Hey guys I'm wondering if you can help with my question. Paco has an abrasion on his nose, maybe from the sand I have no idea. Any advise? I have Melafix but I am wary about adding unnecessary chemicals in the tank. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

AndrewM21 10-19-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CallieDee (Post 1279967)
Hey guys I'm wondering if you can help with my question. Paco has an abrasion on his nose, maybe from the sand I have no idea. Any advise? I have Melafix but I am wary about adding unnecessary chemicals in the tank. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Could you post a picture of this abrasion? It would really help to determine what it is if we have a photo.

CallieDee 10-24-2012 07:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewM21 (Post 1279969)
Could you post a picture of this abrasion? It would really help to determine what it is if we have a photo.

I'm really sorry I haven't gotten back to this thread, I did get Paco to cooperate long enough to net him and snap a few pictures. These will be the best I can do because he's so afraid of the net I don't want to stress him out again.

Attachment 67273
Attachment 67274

Let me know what you all think.