Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking 60 gal. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-60-gal-116789/)

Dstone85 10-11-2012 04:22 PM

Stocking 60 gal.

I have a 60 gal (48x18x17), once setup it will be running an AquaOne Nautilus 1400 canister filter, Lightly planted with Java Moss, Anubias and maybe a few other plants, Driftwood, etc.

Anyway at this stage I'm thinking of stocking

2/3 Angelfish
6 Murray River Rainbows
3 Bristlenose
7 Kuhli Loaches

I'm still undecided on the Angels, maybe a few Gold Rams instead, not sure yet. Any suggestions for the 'centre piece' fish?
And if I were to go with the above combo would it be overstocked?

Many Thanks,
Danny

Byron 10-11-2012 05:01 PM

First, allow me to welcome you to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.:wave:

Now to your intended fish. I would not have both angelfish and rainbows in the same tank; there is not space sufficient in this case but aside from that, the activity level of rainbowfish can be disturbing to sedate fish like angels.

The Murray River Rainbowfish, which is the species Melanotaenia fluviatilis, is best in a group of 6-8. Males should attain 4 inches, and females a bit less. So this will be the centerpiece. Some of the medium/large sized characins, rasbora, danio, barbs would be suitable tankmates, keeping in mind the space limitation though.

If you go with angelfish, Pterophyllum scalare, acquire at least 5. A group of 2 or 3 is asking for trouble; 2 will work if they are a mated pair, or both females perhaps, but small numbers of angels almost always results in one or more fish being picked on by the dominant male. In larger groups this normal behaviour is spread out and less likely to target one or two fish--though this can still occur.

No mention is made of substrate, but kuhli loach should be over sand as they must burrow. And at this juncture, I'll mention our fish profile section, under the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. If the name is used the same in posts as in the profile, it shades and you can click that as a link to the profile.

Byron.

Dstone85 10-11-2012 06:20 PM

Thankyou.

Well after reading that, I'm thinking just a good school of Rainbows.

As for the Kuhli Loach and substrate part, it'll be just the regularl 1/4" Aqaurium stuff. I've had them in a similar setup some years ago and I found there to be no problems on the condition there is ample driftwood, etc. But seeing as though I haven't even begun to set this tank up yet, I will look into going with sand instead.

Many Thanks Byron,

Dstone85 10-11-2012 06:36 PM

Ohh and by that way, I am open to any other stocking options I can/could go with for this tank as it won't be fish ready for a month or two. So any and all suggestions are welcome. Only set for certain on the Bristlenose and plant wise the Anubias & java Moss.

Thanks,
Danny

Byron 10-11-2012 07:17 PM

1/4 inch gravel is pea gravel, and I would consider something like play sand. What fish may manage with and what they should have are quite different. And we are more concerned with happy healthy fish.:-)

Plants like the common sword will work, and it will be better in a finer substrate. Browse our profiles, lots of options in plants and fish there.

Byron.