Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   1 Gallon Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/1-gallon-aquarium-116682/)

Tetrabetta12 10-10-2012 11:17 AM

1 Gallon Aquarium

Hello everyone, I have a one gallon temporary tank for my Tetras. What i want to know is if a one gallon curved tank will be enough to support 4-6 Neon and Glolite Tetras? I already have 4 tetras in it right now and they seem to be full of life and are happy. The tank is not filtered but it has an airstone in it that replenishes the oxygen supply and also keeps a current inside the tank. It has a plant in it (i will be adding one more) and has the necessary gravel. Will my tetras be able to have a healthy life in the tank? I plan on doing 2-30% water changes every week. Thanks. :)

1077 10-10-2012 11:43 AM

Tank's less than five gallon's are not suited for much in the way of fish.
Water paramter's and temperatures are too unstable for longterm health of fishes.

Tetrabetta12 10-10-2012 02:55 PM

Ok thanks, i plan on only keeping these tetras in the tank for maybe a month until i can save up for a 5 or 6 gallon tank. Will they be ok for that period of time? I am closely monitoring them and i have now decided to change the water 2-3 times a week to keep ammonia levels down even though im not over feeding. Is the current in the small tank good for them? They seem to like, but i dont know if its good for them.

Mikaila31 10-10-2012 03:08 PM

No I would be surprised if they survive a month in that tank. Any amount of ammonia is harmful to the fish, it probably won't kill them right away but eventually.... If you did 80-100% changes every day then maybe but I would still expect them too be too stressed to say healthy.

You don't need to keep fish in a 'tank' a plain old plastic storage bin will work just fine.

Tetrabetta12 10-10-2012 03:28 PM

Ok, so just a regular 5 gallon storage bin will work? I guess ill go to the store tomorrow and get a cheap one to keep them in until i can get a legit tank, How often should i do a water change with a tub that size?

Mikaila31 10-10-2012 05:26 PM

depends how fast ammonia builds up especially without a filter. I'm guessing you don't have an ammonia test kit so best option would be to change 30-50% ever 2-3 days. Ammonia is harmful to the fish and that harm can not be undone once done, so its best to play it safe. In the end its hard to change too much water but its easy to change too little.

Also watch craigslist lots of tanks show up there for cheap and sometimes even free if you are quick.

Tetrabetta12 10-10-2012 08:43 PM

Ok Thanks! I did my first water change today and changed about 40% of the water! I found out the container/tank is actually 2 gallons, but i doubt that will make a difference so i am going to get a larger clear temporary tub tomorrow. :)

Tetrabetta12 10-11-2012 06:59 PM

I upgraded to 5 gallon "tank" last night and now have an airstone bar instead of a small rock.

Tetrabetta12 10-11-2012 07:00 PM

I also got 2 more tetras today, because i think i stressed one out too much during the move and he fell ill and died this morning :/