Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   First timer (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/first-timer-116660/)

Xavier10 10-09-2012 08:45 PM

First timer

I have a 50 gallon tank 4feet long and plan on adding these fish.
Zebra danio x12
Glow light tetra x 8
Buenos aires tetra. X8
Red blue tetra x8
Tiger barb x10

Sounds like a lot still thinking off some bottom swimmers. Tell me what ya think.

Xavier10 10-09-2012 09:45 PM

I mean glofish tetra
Posted via Mobile Device

Xavier10 10-09-2012 11:01 PM

First timer

I don't really have a planted a aquarium I have about 6 anubias plants and 2 amazon swords. Getting some water sprites, dwarf water lettuce, frogbit and pennywort real soon to add on. Right now my tank is still in the fish less cycle. Using the shrimp method starting to stink up the place. My question is do I need any of these liquids the pets stores be selling for my aquarium? And if I do any you guys could recommend.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 10-10-2012 11:16 AM

I would remove any dead shrimp and just let the plants handle the "cycling." Once you have those mentioned, and the shrimp removed and a major water change, you can add a few fish. If you indicate the species intended for this tank, I or others may be able to suggest which and how many to start with. The idea behind planteed tanks is that the plants use the amon ia right from the start and nitrite is not an issue.

Niot exactly sure what you mean by the "liquids" but will guess it may be bacterial supplements to "cycle" a new tank. Yes, those that are pure live bacteria do work, but with plants including some fast growing ones this is not necessary.

You will need a comprehensive liquid fertilizer for the plants, I can suggest some if asked. Howe large is this tank? Water Sprite, Amazon Frogbit and Dwarf Water Lettuce are all floating plants and very fast growing, so you will cover the surface in no time.

Byron.

Xavier10 10-10-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1270873)
I would remove any dead shrimp and just let the plants handle the "cycling." Once you have those mentioned, and the shrimp removed and a major water change, you can add a few fish. If you indicate the species intended for this tank, I or others may be able to suggest which and how many to start with. The idea behind planteed tanks is that the plants use the amon ia right from the start and nitrite is not an issue.

Niot exactly sure what you mean by the "liquids" but will guess it may be bacterial supplements to "cycle" a new tank. Yes, those that are pure live bacteria do work, but with plants including some fast growing ones this is not necessary.

You will need a comprehensive liquid fertilizer for the plants, I can suggest some if asked. Howe large is this tank? Water Sprite, Amazon Frogbit and Dwarf Water Lettuce are all floating plants and very fast growing, so you will cover the surface in no time.

Byron.

The liquids I was talking about is the plant fertilizers.
I have only like 6 plants in the tank right now will get the floating ones over the weekend. Are they enough. I have a 50 gallon tank 4 feet long. The fish I want are.

Zebra danio x10
Buenos aires tetra. X8
Red blue tetra x8
Tiger barb x10

I plan on getting them in that order a month apart. The plants will be enough to keep my water safe for the fish? When I see planted tanks they are heavily planted I also have a Penguin power filter 350 with bio wheels for 70 gallon tanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 10-10-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier10 (Post 1270888)
The liquids I was talking about is the plant fertilizers.
I have only like 6 plants in the tank right now will get the floating ones over the weekend. Are they enough. I have a 50 gallon tank 4 feet long. The fish I want are.

Zebra danio x10
Buenos aires tetra. X8
Red blue tetra x8
Tiger barb x10

I plan on getting them in that order a month apart. The plants will be enough to keep my water safe for the fish? When I see planted tanks they are heavily planted I also have a Penguin power filter 350 with bio wheels for 70 gallon tanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Good plant fertilizers are Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement and Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti. Make sure you get the exact-named product, as both manufacturers make several products under these names.

The plants especially those floating will handle the ammonia easily.

Can you clarify the "red blue tetra" species?

Xavier10 10-10-2012 11:57 AM

Red-Blue Tetra - Specialty Pet Month - Featured Products - PetSmart

Cool ill go looking for then today.

The link above is from petsmart that's where I seen them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Xavier10 10-10-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1270900)
Good plant fertilizers are Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement and Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti. Make sure you get the exact-named product, as both manufacturers make several products under these names.

The plants especially those floating will handle the ammonia easily.

Can you clarify the "red blue tetra" species?

Do I need both?
Posted via Mobile Device

Romad 10-10-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier10 (Post 1270905)
Do I need both?
Posted via Mobile Device

You won't need both. I really like the Seachem Flourish Comprehensive too (liquid fert).

If you get more Amazon swords or similar plants down the road, you might want to get some of the Seachem Flourish root tabs. These get buried in the gravel and last for months before they need to be replaced.

Good luck!

Xavier10 10-10-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 1270911)
You won't need both. I really like the Seachem Flourish Comprehensive too (liquid fert).

If you get more Amazon swords or similar plants down the road, you might want to get some of the Seachem Flourish root tabs. These get buried in the gravel and last for months before they need to be replaced.

Good luck!

Thank you so very much. I'm glad I can remove the shrimp my girlfriend complaining about the smell.
Posted via Mobile Device