Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking 16g tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-16g-tank-116615/)

Xeek 10-09-2012 02:48 PM

Stocking 16g tank

I've been preparing a fancy 16 gallon tank for a week or so now, but I won't be ready for fish for another 2 weeks probably. It's planted (lots of plants!) and has a couple of pieces of drift wood. I have been back and forth on deciding what to stock it with and i still haven't really decided.

My original plan was a sorority of bettas, but I've decided against that. What I am decided on is definitely some cherry shrimp and maybe a couple of orange dwarf crawfish (already have one waiting in another tank).

For the fish though I am not decided. I like guppies, but then the endlers look like a good idea too, but no one recommends having both in a tank. I wanted to get anyone else's ideas down in this thread so when I have more or less a list to look at. I have spoken to a lot of you in the chat room and don't remember all the suggestions I got. This way I can get it down on paper and start researching!

Some parameters:
16 gallons, dual 3-stage filters
Black substrate, gravel like
pH 7.8ish (It may go down slightly with drift wood, but not really counting on it.)
Temp 78F
Plants Java Fern, Anubias, Red Flame, Java Moss

Sherry1966 10-09-2012 03:18 PM

Since your tank is still cycling, you have time to research. Go down to your LFS and make a list of the fish you really like. Don't buy any now. I know it is so tempting when they are on sale....LOL....You can talk to the store employees. But a good advised store employee is almost impossible to find anymore.
Then I would go to www.aqadvisor.com and see it they are compatible. That site has helped me in so many ways.

DragonFyre14 10-09-2012 04:58 PM

I really like guppies, Endlers are pretty but not as common and there isn't quite as big of a variety. They can go together, but most don't really suggest it because they will hydridize into infertile endler/guppy mixes.

Guppies, as long as you don't have a particularly aggressive one, are good with older cherry shrimp (they will most likely eat younger shrimp) I'm not entirely sure about the crawfish though.
Mollies and Platies also have a variety, no where near as many as guppies in my experiance, but they are larger and are also live bearers.

I agree with Sherry1966, do some research. It's always helpful to go to the store at which you will be purchasing the fish, and make a list of ones you like. from there research the requirements. aqadvisor is an okay way to show the compatibility of fish, but don't rely solely on that as they don't always catch when certain fish can't go together.

Byron 10-09-2012 05:17 PM

Presumably the GH of your tap water is on the hard side, with a pH of 7.8 though this is not necessarily so. And you are correct, the wood will have minimal impact on softening the water and lowering the pH again assuming the GH and KH are comparable. Knowing the GH and KH would be useful, these you can obtain from your water supply people, they likely have a website with data.

To the fish, we have profiles under the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. Data on tank sizes (a 16g will limit), water parameters, compatibility, etc on each species is included.

Byron.

thekoimaiden 10-09-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 (Post 1270223)
I really like guppies, Endlers are pretty but not as common and there isn't quite as big of a variety. They can go together, but most don't really suggest it because they will hydridize into infertile endler/guppy mixes.

The hybrids will be fertile. Endlers are thought to be endangered in the wild, and one day the pure strains in the hobby might be the only endlers left. We want as many pure strain endlers as possible, and you don't get that when you have tons of guppies hybridizing with them. This is why keeping guppies and endlers together is bad.

Xeek, as for some suggestions of what to get in your tank, Sherry's is a great one. Try to stick to the fish that you can get at your local pet stores. Shipping fish is costly and stressful (for them and you!).

DragonFyre14 10-09-2012 07:39 PM

I didn't realize that. Multiple sources had told me that guppy/endler livebearer hybrids are almost always infertile. I guess then stick to just one or the other ;)

Byron 10-09-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 (Post 1270378)
I didn't realize that. Multiple sources had told me that guppy/endler livebearer hybrids are almost always infertile. I guess then stick to just one or the other ;)

It very briefly mentions the hybridization in our profile of the Endlers Livebearer. As noted therein, initial thinking has changed with more recent scientific examinations.

Xeek 10-09-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1270239)
Presumably the GH of your tap water is on the hard side, with a pH of 7.8 though this is not necessarily so. And you are correct, the wood will have minimal impact on softening the water and lowering the pH again assuming the GH and KH are comparable. Knowing the GH and KH would be useful, these you can obtain from your water supply people, they likely have a website with data.

To the fish, we have profiles under the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. Data on tank sizes (a 16g will limit), water parameters, compatibility, etc on each species is included.

Byron.

My GH is about 30, but that's not my water. My tap is 0 GH (ppm). I add liquid that helps the water for shrimp and that added general hardness, but it didn't change my pH.

No nitrates or nitrites

I'm not all that afraid of fish eating my shrimp. You should see my tank, tons of plants and lots and lots of hiding places! Shrimp will have a blast.

The crawfish typically are a little bigger than the shrimp I think. They're pretty tough compared to shrimp and have nice big claws. They are slow though and still need cover. I've read about lots of people who keep shrimp and crawfish with no problems.

Thanks for the replies! That website is great (aqadvisor).

Xeek 10-09-2012 11:50 PM

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AquStockIma...:201002091347:

I think this is kind of what I want, but not all at once.

djembekah 10-09-2012 11:55 PM

Your tank is going to look great when all the fish are in there. Definitely jealous of all your plants!

I use aqadvisor like crazy when I'm stocking tanks. and i change my mind 100 times and it helps to see it in graph form.