Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   question about albino corydora (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/question-about-albino-corydora-116591/)

Maestro08 10-09-2012 06:51 AM

question about albino corydora
 
first concenr is i cant find it on the freshwater fish list about its basic information.. :)

second concern is, i bought 3 of them, and my problem is they seem to swim all over the place, i expected them to swim just on the bottom of the tank.. why is this happening? thanks. should i wait for them to settle? they think they are tetras or something, i just want them to my ground substrate..

SeaHorse 10-09-2012 09:42 AM

Hello... here is our Profile. It is also called the Bronze Cory as an Albino strain was developed. Bronze Cory (Corydoras aeneus) Profile
They do swim to the surface to take a breath. I occasionally find mine swimming around too but not very often.
Yes they should be kept in groups, and it is quite comical to watch as a new Cory arrives in the tank... the current tank mates come meet them, and off they go together!
They are quite hardy and love shrimp pellets. If you find that the other fish steal the pellets then drop them in an hour or two after "lights out" when the other tank mates are sleeping for the night. Enjoy!

Maestro08 10-09-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 1269907)
Hello... here is our Profile. It is also called the Bronze Cory as an Albino strain was developed. Bronze Cory (Corydoras aeneus) Profile
They do swim to the surface to take a breath. I occasionally find mine swimming around too but not very often.
Yes they should be kept in groups, and it is quite comical to watch as a new Cory arrives in the tank... the current tank mates come meet them, and off they go together!
They are quite hardy and love shrimp pellets. If you find that the other fish steal the pellets then drop them in an hour or two after "lights out" when the other tank mates are sleeping for the night. Enjoy!

i just added mine like 5hours ago.. i dont know if they are just settling up themselves to my tank.. but they're not going for air, they're moving all over the place literally.. like around my tank looking to escape kinda thing.. is this normal? cause i picture them staying on the ground and search for food.. i bought 3 juvies i think, around 1inch each.. do you think i should add more?

SeaHorse 10-09-2012 12:08 PM

Adding more would depend on the size of your tank.
Personally, if they seem distressed, would turn off the lights for a few hours to let them acclimate and not feed them till tonight or first thing tomorrow. One day off schedule with lighting won't hurt them or your tank. Open the drapes near by instead if a window is close. Just normal ambient light. Today has been a stressful day for them.
If your tank is 20+ gallon then yes you could add 2 or 3 more. I tend to have groups of 3 of a couple of different kinds, mine have always socialized well.
Did you acclimate them slowly by suspending their bag in the water to match temps? As well as slowly add trickles of your tank water to ensure similar PH? I try to double the water volume in the bag by the time the temps match.

Byron 10-09-2012 01:47 PM

As jackie has said, this is natural behaviour to be expected. Corys do not appreciate being moved, ever. This stresses them out a lot, and most react with heightened activity, swimming up and down and along the tank walls without real purpose. The time it takes for them to settle down can vary. I have had some corys that only kept this up for a couple hours, but others have gone on for days and even weeks.

And the "albino" is likely Corydoras aeneus as jackie said. There are a few species where an albino form has been developed, C. paleatus and C. sterbai are two others I am familiar with, but the latter is usually seen with a name something like "albino sterbai," whereas plain "albino" likely refers to C. aeneus, and this species is in our profiles.

Byron.

SeaHorse 10-09-2012 02:13 PM

If you end up adding a 2nd species, read up about them in the profiles and write down a couple of species before you head to the LFS. Panda's are very cute, and usually itty-bitty and can be more delicate and shorter living. Some report only being able to keep them alive 6 months max.
There are other bottom dwellers that you should not put with Cory's, so it is very important to read up before adding any other bottom dweller to your tank. (Hogging all the food and/or aggression toward). And caution with medications should you need to do this also.

Maestro08 10-09-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 1270081)
If you end up adding a 2nd species, read up about them in the profiles and write down a couple of species before you head to the LFS. Panda's are very cute, and usually itty-bitty and can be more delicate and shorter living. Some report only being able to keep them alive 6 months max.
There are other bottom dwellers that you should not put with Cory's, so it is very important to read up before adding any other bottom dweller to your tank. (Hogging all the food and/or aggression toward). And caution with medications should you need to do this also.

i did everything right to acclimate them, maybe they are not yet settled.. i chose the albino corydora because my substrate is black sand :) so they will kinda pop out.. other corydora has black on them, so that wont look so good in a black sand substrate.. so im only looking forward on adding albinos for my bottom dwellers :) im hoping to see better behavior tomorrow when i wake up..

regarding tank size, i have a 100gal main and a 70gal sump.. :)

Maestro08 10-09-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1270053)
As jackie has said, this is natural behaviour to be expected. Corys do not appreciate being moved, ever. This stresses them out a lot, and most react with heightened activity, swimming up and down and along the tank walls without real purpose. The time it takes for them to settle down can vary. I have had some corys that only kept this up for a couple hours, but others have gone on for days and even weeks.

this is exactly what they are doing!!! they are like in panic mode.. hopefully they'll act normal soon.. they are just 3, im thinking of making them 6-7 on my 100gal tank :) is that cool?

And the "albino" is likely Corydoras aeneus as jackie said. There are a few species where an albino form has been developed, C. paleatus and C. sterbai are two others I am familiar with, but the latter is usually seen with a name something like "albino sterbai," whereas plain "albino" likely refers to C. aeneus, and this species is in our profiles.

im pretty sure its the Corydoras aeneus :) base on the price i got it and the looks, im pretty sure its the albino version of the bronze cory :) thanks a lot byron! :)

Byron.

^^

BridgieB 10-12-2012 07:30 PM

This happened to me when i got my first batch of cory's! I was so worried for three day's, that's about how long it took mine to settle down. I really thought they hated the tank or the water, but i had my water tested and everything was good and eventually they settled down.

Maestro08 10-12-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BridgieB (Post 1273195)
This happened to me when i got my first batch of cory's! I was so worried for three day's, that's about how long it took mine to settle down. I really thought they hated the tank or the water, but i had my water tested and everything was good and eventually they settled down.

they are quite settled now, thanks a lot :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2