Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking suggestions for 50gal (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-suggestions-50gal-116574/)

Xavier10 10-08-2012 08:53 PM

Stocking suggestions for 50gal

So as my tank is still in the process of cycling I been thinking of ideas to stock my 50gallon tank. The main fish that I want is tiger barbs and I plan on putting them in last. First fish I'm going to buy is zebra danios. Plan on stocking 12 going to add them in 6 at a time is that ok? Plan on getting 8 tiger barbs buying in group of 4. The only places I've looked at fish is petsmart and petco if anyone can suggest a spot near bay ridge Brooklyn New York I'd appreciate it. Also any other fish you guys suggest I'd appreciate it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Xavier10 10-08-2012 08:55 PM

Got a Penguin power filter 350 with bio wheels for 70 gallon tank. About 6 live plants getting floating plants real soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 10-09-2012 01:41 PM

I would suggest buying the entire group of a species together. So with your Tiger Barb, if 8 is the eventual number, buy all 8 at the same time and add them together. [And as you have the space, in this case i would increase the group to 10 or 11.]

One reason for this is that fish always are less stressed in larger groups. So this means less chance of disease. But the fish species which have a pecking order within the group, as TB do, should not be left in small groups as a bully may easily emerge. The larger the group, the more "natural" their pecking order, and the less likely that any fish will be singled out. There is also the fact that the initial group of say 4 will establish their social structure, then when 4 more are added, trouble occurs. This is true with almost any shoaling species, but those that tend to be more aggressive in the first place will frequently become real terrors due to the small group. The natural behaviours can be intensified, in other words.

Byron.

Xavier10 10-09-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1270050)
I would suggest buying the entire group of a species together. So with your Tiger Barb, if 8 is the eventual number, buy all 8 at the same time and add them together. [And as you have the space, in this case i would increase the group to 10 or 11.]

One reason for this is that fish always are less stressed in larger groups. So this means less chance of disease. But the fish species which have a pecking order within the group, as TB do, should not be left in small groups as a bully may easily emerge. The larger the group, the more "natural" their pecking order, and the less likely that any fish will be singled out. There is also the fact that the initial group of say 4 will establish their social structure, then when 4 more are added, trouble occurs. This is true with almost any shoaling species, but those that tend to be more aggressive in the first place will frequently become real terrors due to the small group. The natural behaviours can be intensified, in other words.

Byron.

Ah ok thanks. Ill buy them as a group yea a nice round number or 10 sounds good for the barbs. Now I just gotta think of other fish I would like.
Posted via Mobile Device