Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   heater positioning ok? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/heater-positioning-ok-11656/)

ArKitEKt47 02-08-2008 01:11 AM

heater positioning ok?

I've just added a fully submersible 100W heater to my 20 gal aquarium. This may be a stupid question but i was wondering:

-if this thing will get hot enough to melt the silicone bonding my tank together? i assume it wouldnt but i felt the heater when it was on and it was pretty dang hot. my tank is homemade and i have the heater set to 76 degrees F

also,
-is it okay to suction the heater to the bottom of the tank where it is partially under the gravel and partially above?

any info would be helpful.

herefishy 02-08-2008 01:48 AM

Do you have the heater under the gravel?

ArKitEKt47 02-08-2008 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herefishy
Do you have the heater under the gravel?

its placed about halfway under the gravel and halfway above (it's placed flat/horizontal).

ArKitEKt47 02-09-2008 11:45 PM

i did all kinds of research on the internet but couldn't find much about the silicone melting issue...

then it hit me to read the back of the tube lol. it said "surfaces should not exceed 400 degrees F" so i think i'll be fine lol. I powered on the heaters and they get pretty warm initially but then they cool down significantly.

all seems well--i just hope i'm not risking anything by placing them partially beneath gravel...

Jasey 02-10-2008 11:42 AM

Hm, what I would be worried most about is the heat distributing evenly. If it is partially covered by gravel, the gravel might trap in the heat and other areas of the aquarium won't get as much heat as they need. On my heater instructions they suggest placing it somewhere with good water flow so the heat gets distributed evenly, such as beneath a filter flow/output.

willow 02-10-2008 01:13 PM

hi
may i ask Why you have the heater half under the gravel ??

ArKitEKt47 02-10-2008 08:36 PM

-I have it placed 1/2 under gravel because it is the most inconspicuous place to put it. Because of the shape of my tank combined with the length of the heater, the only other place i could put it would be on the actual front glass pane (where you view from). My tank looks somewhat like this:

Top view-

| :: |
| :: |
| :: _______|
| :: !
| :: !
| !
| !
| !
| !
| !
| !
| !
| !
| !
| !_______
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
|___[X] ___________|

[X] = Internal Filter
! = Glass Wall (textured; heater suctions won't stick)
| = Normal Glass Wall
_ = Normal Glass Wall
:: = Heater

I am using Fluval 2Plus internal Filters (terrible filters, good powerheads) and they circulate the water pretty well. I have thermometers at both ends and the temperature differs 1-2 degrees currently. It's a very narrow, shallow tank or else i would arrange the heater upright (it's about 11" tall and 5 feet long). The heaters are fully submersible.

I'm more concerned with any safety/equipment damage issues at this point.

ArKitEKt47 02-10-2008 08:38 PM

crap.. well when i posted that it deleted all of the spaces...

it's pretty much a C shape if you can try and use your imagination a little bit lol.