Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   Updated 75 Gallon By Rjordan390 (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/updated-75-gallon-rjordan390-116545/)

rjordan390 10-08-2012 03:12 PM

Updated 75 Gallon By Rjordan390

7 Attachment(s)
The tank was started in February this year and now has changed to this:

SusanB 10-08-2012 05:17 PM

That looks really nice. You don't have any floating plants? Is the very last picture a clump of wisteria?

rjordan390 10-09-2012 02:58 AM

Yes it is. I planted two stems at 3 inches apart and it has spread about 9 inches.
My camera makes the lighting appear brighter then it really is. I will have to see if I can take pictures with a faster shutter speed. I do not use floating plants at present because my nitrates are low at 5 to 7 ppm and floating plants interfere with flake food.

SusanB 10-09-2012 07:34 AM

How do you keep the wisteria upright? I have one stem in my 10 gallon (probably had more but they died) and the one stem just kind of flops. Do you have it tied together somehow?

rjordan390 10-09-2012 01:07 PM

My wisteria were planted two inches deep and they had no trouble standing upright. I could take a look at some data I have that describes plant problems and their cause to see what causes weak stems. But for the time being I suspect your plant was not planted correctly.
here is a url for information on stem plants:
The Stemmed Plants - February 2006 TFH Planted Tank
You also need to feed liquid fertilizer like "Seachems" Flourish Comprehensive.

SusanB 10-09-2012 01:48 PM

It is most likely that the wisteria was not planted correctly. I had no idea and just jammed it into the sand but it just kind of lies along the substrate but it is growing while it flops.

SusanB 10-09-2012 01:53 PM

Thanks for that article, it was very interesting. I will have to look at that site more when I get home. I bought Flourish Excel accidentally so I have been using it. I meant to buy the Flourish Comprehensive but I clicked on the wrong item on Amazon. I have noticed that the plants are doing better with the Excel, I usually dose 1ml every day, but sometimes every other day.

rjordan390 10-10-2012 01:46 AM

I used to use the Excel product but stopped on the advise of Byron. He is a well known fish keeper on this forum with many years experience. The product contains a poison and I would guess that it is feared that some fish keepers may overdose the product. You would be better off using the Flourish Comprehensive. Its a complete fertilizer. The Excel product is designed to supply carbon in a form that the plants can use.
It may be that your wisteria is suffering from a lack of nutrients and/or too strong of a water flow, improper planting or a combination of all three.

I like to point out that my experience in fresh water fish and plants is only recent. I have 10 years experience in salt water fish keeping. But the knowledge and experience I gained, better prepared me when I entered the fresh water hobby.

SusanB 10-10-2012 07:29 AM

I totally meant to buy the Flourish Comprehensive, but like a dimwit I bought the wrong stuff. I figured I would give it a try anyway to see what happened and so far so good. I don't use it everyday, but when I get the 55 gallon set up I will be getting the Flourish Comprehensive.

I agree that Byron is very knowledgeable. His posts are where I have gotten most of my information from. As for the Excel, what is in it that is poisonous? Why would SeaChem make something that could potentially be harmful or at least should have a warning label?

rjordan390 10-10-2012 09:32 AM

That I cannot answer but below is a thread posted by Magna pisces custos in which Byron replied and there is also a link that supports Byrons opinion on the Excel product and ApI CO2 Booster.

Does API CO2 Booster affect Nitrifying Bacteria?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all, have question about API CO2 Booster, does it affect Nitrifying bacteria?
Background Info:
I have a planted tank in the final stages of cycling (1-month by fish-in cycling). The tank is a 20g High, with a large Amazon Sword, a baby sword taken from the large one's Peduncle, a Java Moss ball, Mondo grass, Anacharis, and a 3-plant combo (Dracaena Spathiphyllum Ophiopogon Trichomanes Syngonium).
What happened:
API recommends 1ml per 10 gallons of water for the CO2 Booster. After I added 2ml for my 20 gallon tank, I had an ammonia spike. I know the tank is still new, however I had gone at least 10 days with 0.00 ppm Ammonia, and no other event out of the ordinary could of triggered it. Has anyone else experienced similar results using this product, or know if API's CO2 Booster harms the Nitrifying bacteria?
-Thanks!
Share this post on Share on Facebook

Magna pisces custos
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Magna pisces custos
Find More Posts by Magna pisces custos
Add Magna pisces custos to Your Contacts

06-23-2012, 07:36 PM #2
Byron
User Aquariums

Experience: 20+ YearsStatus: Super ModeratorJoin Date: Mar 2009Location: Vancouver, BC CanadaPosts: 18,692 An interesting question. I would not have thought so, but...

API CO2 Booster is 1.6% glutaraldehyde (rest is water). Seachem's Excel is the same but a slightly higher percentage. This chemical is toxic. It is used to disinfect medical and dental instruments and as a chemical preservative. Considered a hazardous substance, skin irritant, toxic if inhaled, etc. You can read more here (which comes from a link on the API website):
http://cms.marsfishcare.com/files/ms...ter_081810.pdf

It kills cells, and is used in products that attack viruses and bacteria. So, it may well affect bacteria in an aquarium. It will kill some aquarium plants, Vallisneria is one.

I wouldn't use it.

Aside from all this, with live plants you should not have a "cycle" per say. Plants assimilate ammonia/ammonium as their nitrogen and provided the fish load is not beyond their capacity, plants will handle the ammonia.

Byron.
Share this post on Share on Facebook
| Like __________________
Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

Byron
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Byron
Find More Posts by Byron
Add Byron to Your Contacts

06-23-2012, 08:40 PM #3
Magna pisces custos
User Aquariums

Status: New MemberJoin Date: Jun 2012Posts: 31 Thanks for the info and link Bryan. From what I experienced it seems that the answer is yes. And the link you provided supports that. Also, I actually got some of it on my hands and it was not a pleasant experience for the next 3 hours. The "sensation" they say can occur will occur if contact is made. I'm going to try and return it since I only used a tiny bit out of the bottle.