Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   African Cichlids Being Territorial (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/african-cichlids-being-territorial-116539/)

RedRaider15 10-08-2012 01:48 PM

African Cichlids Being Territorial

I've had my AC aquarium set up for almost a year, and now a couple of my cichlids are extremely territorial, what do I need to do to stop them from fighting the other fish too much!!???

RedRaider15 10-08-2012 04:51 PM

African Cichlids Being Territorial

I've had my AC aquarium set up for almost a year, and now a couple of my cichlids are extremely territorial, what do I need to do to stop them from fighting the other fish too much!!???

Tazman 10-08-2012 07:04 PM

Specifically what fish are they and what size is the tank?

SeaHorse 10-08-2012 07:21 PM

Well Cichlids are a Territorial Fish. They are marked on the tanks as the store with a Red dot (Aggressive do not mix with other fish), Yellow dot (Caution with who you put this fish with), and Green - Community (plays well with others!) lol
If you got your Cichlids young they may now be full grown adults that need territory. You also have not said what you have... do you know what breeds and how many of each you have?
What size tank do you have? Gallons? How many plants? Live or plastic? Rocks, caves ad hiding spots ? Can you post a picture of the tank? That helps us too.
There are lots of things you can do but we need to know more about the situation to help.

SeaHorse 10-08-2012 07:33 PM

I merged these 2 threads into one.

RedRaider15 10-08-2012 08:39 PM

I have 2 Kenyi, 2 Yellow Labs, 1 Morri and 1 unknown. The tank is 37 gallons, and I don't know how to post pictures. I have live plants of all sizes, driftwood, rocks, and some plastic plants.

Tazman 10-09-2012 09:26 AM

Tank is too small for those fish. Moori alone gets to about 9" which means it needs a 75g minimum.

There is simply not enough room for any of the fish to claim a territory, also Lake Malawi cichlids do NOT do well in pairs, if you have a male and female, the male can harass the female to death if she is not ready to breed. They are best kept in 1 male to several (4) females to help spread the aggression. The tank though is simply too small to do this.

Kenyi are not exactly friendly fish and can easily claim a tank of 55g as their own. They also need the space of a 4ft 75g or larger tank.

Sorry but either the fish need a bigger tank or there will continue to be problems until fish start dying.

To post pictures, click "go advanced" below the message box, there you will a smiley face on the top, next to that is a paperclip, clicking on that will bring up another window where you will be able to upload a picture.