Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Is my frog eating my fish??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/my-frog-eating-my-fish-116526/)

mt4no1 10-08-2012 10:16 AM

Is my frog eating my fish???

1 Attachment(s)
I have a frog, I don't know what it is, but he never comes out of the water, he has begun, (finally) to get bigger, now my neon tetras are dissappearing. so far three, and watching him in the tank he attacks the fish as they swim by, I am going to be so upset if I have to get ri of him... It doesn't look like the frog that they have listed under the pictres here. He isn't all bubbly, or that skinny of legs, etc.. He is getting pretty beefy. He's never been that skinny body wise even when he was a baby and I got him. He has what best to be described as stitches down his body and his eyes aren't very clear like the picture of the one frog they have here on the site. I know he can't see very good.

Olympia 10-08-2012 10:20 AM

That's an African clawed frog. Big guys, not surprised he's eating your fish. He should hit 5" long. They aren't good for keeping with fish, if you want to keep him he'll need his own tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

mt4no1 10-08-2012 10:26 AM

Thank you Olympia, once again you have answered my questions. He hasn't ever bothered anyone until this last week, and in a week, 3 of my tiniest fish have dissappeared. I have had him about 1 year. He only eats vegtable rounds, because that is what the aquarium store said to feed him. They also said (same as when they sold me the dinasaur eel) he was fine to have with my fish. (I have since stpped going there) apparently they lie about everything they sell you. This proves it. Thank you for your help.

mt4no1 10-08-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1269141)
That's an African clawed frog. Big guys, not surprised he's eating your fish. He should hit 5" long. They aren't good for keeping with fish, if you want to keep him he'll need his own tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

makes sense he has massive black nails on the bottom 3 of his toes.

Olympia 10-08-2012 10:30 AM

I'd stop feeding him veggie rounds, he's a carnivore and should be eating meatier foods. Don't think I've heard of a vegetarian frog, doesn't sound like a good store at all!
Hope you find a way to keep him!
Posted via Mobile Device

mt4no1 10-08-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1269165)
I'd stop feeding him veggie rounds, he's a carnivore and should be eating meatier foods. Don't think I've heard of a vegetarian frog, doesn't sound like a good store at all!
Hope you find a way to keep him!
Posted via Mobile Device

I only have my one tank, I REALLY like him, but we dont have room for another tank. They are supposedly the best but I don't go there anymore because of all of this. The only other place to go here though is petsmart. He has thrived on the vegtable rounds, he is huge! lol. Thats all they told me to feed him. When I had the dinasaur eel (shortly) he never wanted the meal worms I fed him...???

BackInAction 10-19-2012 05:53 AM

Frogs love to eat fish ,if they could catch them .

Now the frog loves you for the 5 star diner hes been getting

Chesh 10-19-2012 07:43 AM

Ooooh, yeah. . . he's a clawed frog to be sure! They're greedy little tykes, I had one years ago (he was darn close to the 6 inch mark!), and at full growth nothing with fins can stand in their way. Reptomin makes a type of pelleted food specifically for this type of frog - he's probably been so slow in growing because of an improper diet. You should also supplement the pelleted foods with wet-frozen foods like bloodworm and such. They do get big, and are very messy, so you'll want to be sure that he has a big enough tank and proper filtration if you do decide to keep him. If you want fish AND frogs in the same tank, look into the African DWARF frogs. They're tiny little sweeties - maxing out at around 2 inches at their biggest, and won't eat anything but the tiniest of fishy fry. They carry the Dwarfs at PetSmart, but to keep them in community, you'll want to be sure that they get their share of food, as they're slow eaters. Some people have had better luck, but I've never gotten a dwarf frog to take the pellets, though my Clawed frog pretty much ate anything I threw in there with him! Good luck to you - sounds like you have some tough decisions to make - before your frog makes them for you!

squishylittlefishies 10-20-2012 05:00 PM

yup. that is most definitely an african clawed frog. it would really be a shame if you had to get rid of him. maybebif you start feeding him more live foods like bloodwoorms and stuff he will have less of an appetite for fishes. that is very strange that they told you to feed him the veggies. same with your dino eel... I have never heard of feeding fish mealworms!

Chesh 10-20-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squishylittlefishies (Post 1281086)
maybebif you start feeding him more live foods like bloodwoorms and stuff he will have less of an appetite for fishes.

It's a nice idea, but I wouldn't bet a fishy life on that one! These guys are voracious in my experience!!!