Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
- - Red Sea Max 130 Build Log (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/red-sea-max-130-build-log-116495/)
Red Sea Max 130 Build Log
I’m super excited to take the plunge into SW. My original setup was going to be a 25Gallon DT and a 20 Gallon sump. There is a thread here with lots of ideas and info. After some thought I decided an all in one setup like the RSM 130 would be better. I found a deal on Craigslist and grabbed it.
The tank came with some goodies including ~60 pounds of rock and 2 clown fish. I need some other supplies before I can get the RSM going (mainly RO/DI) so the clowns are in a 20Gallon High QT tank with ~20 pounds of rock, a Mazi-jet 400, heater and its all under a single t-8. There are also two snails in there. Since I did not have time to mix my own water for the QT I took water from the craigslist guy. Here are my readings:
Nitrate – 5.0
Hydrometer – 1.024
Other than giving the RSM a good cleaning ill be replacing the stock bulbs and that will be all for now. I plan on upgrading the sump to a Tunze at some point down the line, and ill be making some other mods.
I may be able to order the RO/DI tomorrow, not sure when it will come in. I was going to attempt to use only some distilled for now in the QT until the RO/DI is setup. The RSM will run nothing but RO/DI.
Here are my questions:
1. I did not fill the QT all the way; I marked the Water level to know where to replace evaporated water. What and when do I need to do it to keep the clowns safe?
2. As you can see in the pics below, the rock has a lot of red growth. I also have two other 5 gallon buckets with LR and water. The tank had a lot of cyano, and the owner said high phosphates. I’m OK with “killing” and cleaning the rock and “starting fresh” rather than trying to keep the other LR wet and having issues. How do I go about doing that? Dry it out and take it outside to the hose with a toothbrush?
3. What is the mushroom growing in the QT. Is it healthy? Worth trying to save for the DT? Will it last under a single T8?
4. One clown is large and the other is small. I did not ask the owner about them. The small one follows the big one around. Big guy nips him a little at times, but they also roam around freely. They both ate Mysis shrimp tonight. Are they Ocellaris Clowns?
Cleaning to do:
Just ordered this RO/DI. I will be storing RO/DI for topoff's in something like these (already have them), And mixing the Salt overnight in one of these with the Maxi-Jet 400.
Hopefully RO/DI gets here soon so I can do a WC in the QT and lower those numbers. If its not here by friday I'll Grab some distilled.
Any insight on the questions i posted above?
Also, whats the difference exactly between a powerhead and a circulation pump? Currently i have the maxi-jet as a powerhead in my 20high QT. Is that OK for all my QT in the future?
What should I grab for the RSM 130. The DT is 29 gallon while the total is 34. i want 20x's for corals. The RSM has two 146gph return pumps on the left hand side.
Maxi-Jet uses a different setup, using Circulation Mode pushes more water than the PowerHead Mode.
You can use the Maxi-Jet, the push plenty of water using the right one. I like the Hydor knock offs, they are just as cheap. But you'd only need around 300gph, opposite your returns I would think.
Thanks. I wanna clean the tank and LR but I'm kinda sick. I'm gonna just take the garden hose and a toothbrush to the LR not in the QT so I can get it cleaned.
Can you Id the mushroom in the pics above. It does not look as nice today. It's just under a T8. At this point I don't care if it does before it gets to the DT I just don't want it to die in the QT and foul the water.
Posted via Mobile Device
Its just a typical Mushroom. They are pretty hardy corals, they can withstand a bit of crappy water and light.
sweet. This is all too exciting!
Im still feeling under the weather but hopefully I can get to my parents and clean the DT today. LFS run on sunday so thats when the fun will begin I hope.
The clowns are super greedy. They will most likely eat from my hand as they attack my turkey baster when I feed them. I noticed the little guy having a "seizure" when the big one gets close. I read the smaller one is submitting to the larger. Is this true? Anything to be worried about?
Nothing to worry about. Male and female.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.