Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Celestial Pearl Danios and glass catfish not eating (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/celestial-pearl-danios-glass-catfish-not-116472/)

Granberry 10-07-2012 08:09 PM

Celestial Pearl Danios and glass catfish not eating

1 Attachment(s)
A couple days ago, I got my long-awaited celestial pearl danios and 5 glass catfish. They won't eat. I have tried flakes, pellets, brine shrimp in gel, and frozen bloodworms. I would really, really like these guys to flourish. What can I do?

I have lots of plants and places for them to hide, and I even added duckweed to give them a sense of security.

madyotto 10-08-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granberry (Post 1268644)
A couple days ago, I got my long-awaited celestial pearl danios and 5 glass catfish. They won't eat. I have tried flakes, pellets, brine shrimp in gel, and frozen bloodworms. I would really, really like these guys to flourish. What can I do?

I have lots of plants and places for them to hide, and I even added duckweed to give them a sense of security.

a NICE water change use a good conditioner because glass cats are very sensitive to chlorine and metals

Granberry 10-08-2012 02:00 PM

I used Prime to condition the water. I did change the filter to a stronger one (Fluval C2), but I will still do a water change soon, especially with all that failed food that I know has gone into the tank.

I tried a new thing this morning. I moved the filter on the side of the tank, rearranged that big glut of plants and put a couple of different types of food directly into the water flow as the water exited the filter. The pieces went with the current past the main place the fish hide in the big driftwood replica that is on the opposite end of the tank. Some of the danios got excited and grabbed a bit of the pieces of food as they flowed past.

I am just hoping the catfish will do the same. I don't mind being stupid about plants and trying a bunch of pretty plants and throwing them out when they die, but that isn't my same attitude about fish.

Also, I changed out my heater because the Eheim I had just wasn't getting the water warm enough, probably because of the weird shape of the tank, i.e., really long and skinny.

fish joey 10-12-2012 06:25 PM

I have both glasscats and cpd's I found you have to grind up the food pretty fine then poke it down... dont just let it float, the glass cats only ate when it went right in front of them.. not really seeking it .....they seem to move around alot more at night (lights out) I think thats when the eat.I would not worry.

fish joey 10-12-2012 06:27 PM

Whoops ! should have said have had ...I gave the glass cats away to two little girls who admired them.

Granberry 10-13-2012 10:47 PM

Thank you very much for that advice! I will try anything! I have been out of town for a few days but when I came back, they're still all alive, so maybe they're eating and I'm just not seeing it because I'm sure my kids didn't put in any extra effort into watching them to make sure they ate! lol