Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Sick Golden Ram! Please Help!

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Grits 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a sick golden ram. Until tonight he was the biggest, most colorful, and most active fish in the tank. Now all of a sudden I see him sitting on the bottom, and then he turns vertical and rises to the top of the water, then goes back down. Then the whole process starts again. He has a swollen belly and white mucus coming from his anus.

My water params are below. What could be the problem?

Thanks so much!!!

#4 ·
Sorry you lost your Ram Grits. Could you give a little more information please?

What size of tank did you keep him in and what other fish do you have in the tank? How often do you feed and perform water changes? How long had the ram being showing unusual behaviour, and how long did you have the ram for?

#5 ·
Thanks!

Its a 75 gallon (stocking below). I've had him about 2 months. He has been eating good. I feed Tetra color flake food every morning, frozen brine shrimp around mid afternoon, and tube efex -or- tetra microcrabs at night.

I have been doing weekly water changes about 1/4 each time, for about a month. I'm not sure why the nitrates are not going down. They have been at 40 the whole time.

Also, I am posting an old pic of a golden ram I had die a couple of months ago. There is a small red spot on his belly. Any ideas about that?

1 Red Tail Shark
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Zebra Botia
2 Clown Loaches
3 Golden Rams(counting this one)
3 Blue Rams
1 Swordtail
2 Common Plecs
4 Cories

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.