Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Intro new guy from NYC (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/intro-new-guy-nyc-116466/)

Xavier10 10-07-2012 06:07 PM

Intro new guy from NYC

1 Attachment(s)
Wassup everyone?! My name is Xavier I'm from NYC just bought a 50 gallon tank. Set it up on 10/5/12. Started my fish less shrimp cycle on 10/5/12 finally got an ammonia reading of 1.0ppm I'm going to add 2 more medium shrimp to my tank to bring up my ammonia level to 5 ppm. Still have no nitrite levels. From what I read on here people don't get them till like day 8. I'm running a Penguin power filter 350 with bio wheels for 70 gallon tanks. And have a couple of anubias nana plants like 6 and a amazon sword. So maybe that's keeping my ammonia down? Well my plan of fish once this is all done. What I have so far is

12x zebra danios
8x tiger barbs

The tiger barbs are the main fish I want to get so I'm building around them. I'm trying to do research on what else to stock so if anyone has any suggestions I highly appreciate it. And if anyone has had any experience with the shrimp method I would like their input.

Thank you all and hope to get to know ya all better.

By the way I'm a Honda technician if anyone has any car questions ill do my best to answer them accurately.

Xavier10 10-07-2012 06:58 PM

I ment I set it up 10/2/12 cycle began 10/5/12
Posted via Mobile Device

LADY K 10-07-2012 07:06 PM

welcome to the forum:-)

Chris7 10-07-2012 07:14 PM

Welcome to the site, there's lot's of helpful people here:-)! The only small problem I've heard of using shrimp to cycle a tank is it can stink up your room.lol And damb I need a ford tec!

Byron 10-07-2012 07:27 PM

Welcome to TFK forum.

I prefer "cycling" with live plants, so if i were you i would get a few more fast-growing species. Floating plants serve this well, as well as being appreciated by all forest fish.

We have fish profiles here, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. If the name, scientific or common used in the profile, is typed the same in a post it will shade and becomes a link to that profile, example Tiger Barb and Zebra Danio. You will find useful data on the fish in the profiles, and suggestions for tankmates.

Byron.

Xavier10 10-07-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1268611)
Welcome to TFK forum.

I prefer "cycling" with live plants, so if i were you i would get a few more fast-growing species. Floating plants serve this well, as well as being appreciated by all forest fish.

We have fish profiles here, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. If the name, scientific or common used in the profile, is typed the same in a post it will shade and becomes a link to that profile, example Tiger Barb and Zebra Danio. You will find useful data on the fish in the profiles, and suggestions for tankmates.

Byron.

Ah that's cool. I'm a complete newbie at this my way of having fish before was water fish and move on. This is the first time I'm doing stuff right I think. What are these floating plants you speak of?
Posted via Mobile Device

Xavier10 10-07-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris7 (Post 1268597)
Welcome to the site, there's lot's of helpful people here:-)! The only small problem I've heard of using shrimp to cycle a tank is it can stink up your room.lol And damb I need a ford tec!

Lol hey I could still probably help unless its dealer specific trouble codes
Posted via Mobile Device

Chris7 10-07-2012 07:51 PM

No, it's all right man! It's still 100% under warrenty, taking it in tomorrow. But thanks for offering:-). As for floating plants, try to get some Water sprites. I also really like the Penny worth, It's actully a stemmed plant that you can grow in the substrate or just let it float. Kind of looks like lilly pads from the surface when floating. But I'am not to sure if it's a fast grower?

Xavier10 10-07-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris7 (Post 1268630)
No, it's all right man! It's still 100% under warrenty, taking it in tomorrow. But thanks for offering:-). As for floating plants, try to get some Water sprites. I also really like the Penny worth, It's actully a stemmed plant that you can grow in the substrate or just let it float. Kind of looks like lilly pads from the surface when floating. But I'am not to sure if it's a fast grower?

Oh alright I'll do my homework because this the first I've heard of them. Are the easy care? I hear some plants need the Co2 injections I'm not trying to do that right now. Just raise healthy fish. I wanna do a planted tank later on in life.
Posted via Mobile Device

Freshcatch 10-07-2012 08:23 PM

Welcome to the forum!