Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Okay, new line-up (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/okay-new-line-up-11625/)

Zule 02-07-2008 01:52 AM

Okay, new line-up

I recently posted a list of fish I was intending to stock my 55 gallon tank with, but that has changed a bit. Today I was running an errand, and happened to check out a fish store while I was up there, as I had been intending for a while. Caesar's Tropical Fish Factory. Amazing. I was like a kid in a candy store. You must take in mind this is the first real fish store I've been too, as so far I have been limited to the only petstore in town, Petco, and Petsmart in the next one down.

Oh man, so many fish. Hundreds of tanks. The prices were higher than the Petco or Petsmart, but the variety was amazing. I ended up getting a synodontis nigrita and a flagtail catfish.

Now I'm kind of reforming my plan based on what I have now.

1 common pleco
3 blue gouramis
3 beunos aires tetras
2 zebra danios
1 common syno
1 flagtail catfish

Pretty soon I'm going to give up my pleco. I knew from the start that he's going to get too big for my tank, but he came with the setup. I'm going to replace him with a clown pleco, probably. One of the small species for sure. Now I'm wondering, what should I add to this setup? The first two danios were given to me by a friend(her tank was too small) so I'll be getting four more of those soon. I was wondering if there are any chichlids that would do well in this setup? I looked a little into blue rams and they seem like a good community type, but what about with the fish I have?

And would a group of six cories overcrowd the bottom level of the tank? What about a red tail shark? Would a 55 gallon be enough to keep one peaceful around the other fish? Should I stay away from smaller fish like the danios so they don't get eaten?

I'm open to all suggestions!

Oh, by the way, are blue gouramis typically a shy fish? The three that came with my tank seem to be hiding 85% of the time.

fish_4_all 02-07-2008 02:17 PM

If you go with Cichlids or rams make sure to give them enough "stuff" in the tank to establish a territory. They will likely chase around the cats but probably can't hurt them. The danios and tetras are supposed to do better in larger groups. As for the gouramis, I have never heard of them being shy but I have not kept that specific one.

I do not know much about the catfish but my concern would be their diet or tendencies. I know some can be voracious eaters and will take on anything they can fit in their mouths. Even though the cats are smaller ones, make sure that they won't try to snack on your other fish.

okiemavis 02-07-2008 03:49 PM

Sounds like the setup is going nicely! If you're looking for cichlids, I'm actually looking for the same thing right now, and I started a thread in the cichlid category on "friendly cichlids" it's got a lot of helpful information on these guys: http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13893

As for the gourami, they are often shy. They appreciate floating plants and other things to hide in on the surface.

I've heard that the synos can become a bit territorial in their old age, so you might not want to overload the bottom with corys. Plus, the flagtail catfish prefer to be in groups, so I would add a few more of those instead of a shoal of corys.

crazy4fish 02-07-2008 03:54 PM

if you get the rams dont get cories that will deffinately overcrowd your bottom. :oops: if you are looking to get some cichlids you could get:
lemon cichlids
any kind of dwarf cichlids
birchardi
keyholes
checkerboard cichlids
african butterfly cichlids

these arent cichlids but i think that some cherry barbs, black neons or neons, rainbowfish, mollies and platies would look good in there. :wink:

Falina 02-07-2008 05:45 PM

I would advise against the rams. I had terrible problems in my tank with 2 synos and 2 GBRs just not getting along. They bullied each other, bullied their own species, and just generally nobody was happy. The tank was heavily planted with frifdtwood and skull decoration so there was plenty of different territories. Your tank is a little bigger than mine is, but even at that I would recommend against it from my experience.

Zule 02-07-2008 07:58 PM

Alright, I'll stay away from the blue rams. I'll see if I can get my lfs to special order something. Right now the petco mostly has chichlids labeled as "various," so you can't really tell which is which.

Would I be able to get more than one type? As long as it's not a breeding pair so there's no aggression in that department?

Or what about a small group of kuhli loaches?

And by the way, Okiemavis, do you know anything else of flagtail catfish? I can't seem to find much on the internet except for two care sheets that don't go into too much depth. Is there another common name they're known as? The scientific name didn't yield many results either.

okiemavis 02-07-2008 11:00 PM

All I found on the flagtail catfish was by googling it and clicking the first few links...maybe planetcatfish.com will have some more helpful information?

crazy4fish 02-08-2008 03:24 PM

most cichlids you would be able to put together. kuhli loaches are awsome too! it wont really matter which you get: cichlids, kuhlis, both:
as long as they dont fight :wink: