Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   what is wrong with my water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-wrong-my-water-116220/)

racerx 10-04-2012 03:42 PM

what is wrong with my water

just starting week 3 of new tank. 36 gallon bow front with 2 zebras,2 mollies,and 2 tetras (all small)
water is still bit cloudy and ammonia too high. Using API liquid test kit PH-7.6/Ammonia-2.0/Nitrite-.25/Nitrate-0
Fish seem ok. Feeding every other day (just a pinch) bloodworms one time, flakes the next.
Filters are Marineland 150 Bio-Wheel/ Aqueon 55/ just 1 square of UGF approx.2"X4" just to hold uplift tube with reverse flow Marineland 600 Maxi Jet powerhead, and small airstone buried in gravel on other side.
Help

SeaHorse 10-04-2012 03:55 PM

You can do a water change to dilute down your numbers. Make sure it's the same temperature and use your de-chlorinator. If you have "Prime", it can also be used to neutralize many things. It is a bit more expensive at the store but goes an incredibly long way, 1 cap does 50 Gallons. It will neutralize Ammonia, Ammonium and NitrItes in your water. Yes it smells like sulfur.

racerx 10-04-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 1265495)
You can do a water change to dilute down your numbers. Make sure it's the same temperature and use your de-chlorinator. If you have "Prime", it can also be used to neutralize many things. It is a bit more expensive at the store but goes an incredibly long way, 1 cap does 50 Gallons. It will neutralize Ammonia, Ammonium and NitrItes in your water. Yes it smells like sulfur.

my water temp is set at 79.3 (digital thermometer)
tap water has .25 trace of ammonia, but I always condition water and get it from the faucet through a pur water filter(little added protection)
been doing 5% water changes every 3 days until cycle is complete
guess I'll have to order the Prime, 3 LFS in my area and none of them have it.
Any idea what's going on, and is it ok to treat for ammonia during the cycle stage?
Thanx

Absntmind 10-04-2012 04:21 PM

Sounds like your tank is still cycling. Increase partial water changes and keep the feeding to a minimum (every other day is fine). Give it a bit more time and it should clear up as the tank becomes established.

Edit: You should be replacing at least 25%-30% of the water each change, especially doing a fish in cycle IMO.

racerx 10-04-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absntmind (Post 1265516)
Sounds like your tank is still cycling. Increase partial water changes and keep the feeding to a minimum (every other day is fine). Give it a bit more time and it should clear up as the tank becomes established.

I was wondering if it was, but I thought after this long,ammonia wouldn't be that high.
It's not stable yet
9/25- 0.25
9/26- 0.35
9/29- 1.50
9/30- 0.50
10/1- 1.0
10/4- 2.0
It's all over the pace.(patience is a virtue)
Thax for the advice
PS- so I should not add any prime or ammonia reducer at this moment?

Geomancer 10-04-2012 07:09 PM

You should use prime when you have readings of Ammonia and/or Nitrite. A PUR water filter does nothing for that, those filters are just activated carbon. With Ammonia in your tap water, I'd use Prime every time. Live plants are also great.

You also have a lot of filters and water movement, that will stress forest fish.

Your numbers are not all over the place, only one is unusual. The cycle takes 4-8 weeks to complete.

racerx 10-04-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomancer (Post 1265728)
You should use prime when you have readings of Ammonia and/or Nitrite. A PUR water filter does nothing for that, those filters are just activated carbon. With Ammonia in your tap water, I'd use Prime every time. Live plants are also great.

You also have a lot of filters and water movement, that will stress forest fish.

Your numbers are not all over the place, only one is unusual. The cycle takes 4-8 weeks to complete.

I would like to try live plants,but since I'm using aquarium salt, I was told at LFS I couldn't do the plants because the salt would mess them up.
Also, should I get rid of the Aqueon and maybe run Bio-Wheel with a small canister filter?

Absntmind 10-04-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerx (Post 1265808)
I would like to try live plants,but since I'm using aquarium salt, I was told at LFS I couldn't do the plants because the salt would mess them up.
Also, should I get rid of the Aqueon and maybe run Bio-Wheel with a small canister filter?

I'm not familiar with biowheels since I have never used anything but a canister filter for any tank above 20 gallons. Personally I would only use prime to treat the water for changes and rely on water changes to keep the ammonia at safe levels. Adding biological media to your filters might be beneficial as well. My primary tank is 55 gallons and took about a month to fully cycle. After that I still had a few small cycles before it became fully established. I would stick with regular water changes for a bit and see if things even out. IMO 3 weeks is still a very young tank and the ecosystem still has a long ways to go. Someone like Byron would be a bigger help though as I still new to the game. Good luck and keep with the updates, things like this can be guesswork sometimes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Geomancer 10-05-2012 06:44 PM

Yes, still do frequent water changes during this period, 50% every two days using Prime. I hope I didn't imply not doing water changes and just using prime.

Prime will neutralize Ammonia and Nitrite for up to 48 hours which is why I say change the water every 2 days until the cycle is done, at which point you'll do it once a week.

Do not use aquarium salt with your fish though. The mollys can take brackish water, but it is not safe for the others long term.