Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   New Plant - any information available?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/new-plant-any-information-available-116197/)

waters 10-04-2012 08:46 AM

New Plant - any information available??
 
Does anybody have ANY information regarding Nomaphila Siamensis? I picked up a few at a LFS. There is very little information on the web about this plant. The fact that it is omitted from almost all listings of aquarium plants makes me nervous lol. I have checked all of my aquarium plant books which don't even reference the name. Thanks in advance.

Byron 10-04-2012 01:20 PM

According to the International Index of Plants [which is an acknowledged "authority" for botanists] this name is doubtful.

Digging a bit further, I found a reference in Kasselmann [Aquarium Plants, by Dr. Christel Kasselmann] for the name Nomaphila corymbosa (Blume, 1826) as a synonymn of Hygrophila corymbosa. N. stricta (Vahl/Nees) is another synonym for the same species, H. corymbosa. The latter is in our profiles, click the shaded name for the info and photos.

The photos I found online certainly have the appearance of H. corymbosa, or very similar. I would have to check in with some of my plant associates to go further.

Byron.

waters 10-04-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1265317)
According to the International Index of Plants [which is an acknowledged "authority" for botanists] this name is doubtful.

Digging a bit further, I found a reference in Kasselmann [Aquarium Plants, by Dr. Christel Kasselmann] for the name Nomaphila corymbosa (Blume, 1826) as a synonymn of Hygrophila corymbosa. N. stricta (Vahl/Nees) is another synonym for the same species, H. corymbosa. The latter is in our profiles, click the shaded name for the info and photos.

The photos I found online certainly have the appearance of H. corymbosa, or very similar. I would have to check in with some of my plant associates to go further.

Byron.


Thanks Byron.....I wonder what makes this plant so "special" that it isn't commonly seen in the aquarium.

Byron 10-04-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waters (Post 1265333)
Thanks Byron.....I wonder what makes this plant so "special" that it isn't commonly seen in the aquarium.

Well, if it actually is H. corymbosa, then it is not special or uncommon, and someone is pulling the proverbial wool over some eyes. When i did a very quick search earlier, I noticed that no aquarium plant forumsÚsites came up, but only companies selling this plant--which may or may n ot be suggestive.;-)

But, if there really is a plant species different from H. corymbosa it could be a new strain, a new discovery, or whatever. I will try to find some time in the next few days to dig around in my botanical sites and see what i can find as to the distinctness of this plant.

Byron.

waters 10-04-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1265717)
Well, if it actually is H. corymbosa, then it is not special or uncommon, and someone is pulling the proverbial wool over some eyes. When i did a very quick search earlier, I noticed that no aquarium plant forumsÚsites came up, but only companies selling this plant--which may or may n ot be suggestive.;-)

But, if there really is a plant species different from H. corymbosa it could be a new strain, a new discovery, or whatever. I will try to find some time in the next few days to dig around in my botanical sites and see what i can find as to the distinctness of this plant.

Byron.

Thanks again Byron...it is strange that you can do a google image search for that name which returns a ton of pictures that match the plant that I have but if you search for information it returns next to nothing.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2