Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Angelfish Spawned! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/angelfish-spawned-116143/)

Geomancer 10-03-2012 03:12 PM

Angelfish Spawned!

Well, it has been quite awhile since I posted around these parts. I still have the same tanks, no new additions, just ran out of steam for keeping up with all the posts.

However, I noticed today that two of my Angelfish in the 125 gallon tank have spawned! I'm not sure what the trigger was, but I think it had to do with my opps moment. On Monday I did a water change, but forgot to plug my filter and heater back on until the next day. The temperature dropped from the usual 78 to 79 down to 74 (when I noticed it). So either the drop in temperature (simulating rainfall) or the lack of any water current (I don't have any airstones of any kind) or a combination of both got them in the mood. I noticed the eggs today (Wednesday), or more correctly my wife did. I was wondering why my Angels were being quite nasty to each other, this explains it quite well.

All of the other fish are now crammed for the most part in the opposite end.

I tried taking a video, but there is some pretty bad reflections coming from the next room on half the tank. The striped one I believe is the female, with the yellow being the male. Just a guess on my part going by the tube on the bottom of the stripped one being quite noticeable.

PS: If you follow the link to YouTube, you can change the quality up to the original and you can watch it in a larger size.

DragonFyre14 10-03-2012 04:04 PM

They do seem to be keeping all the other fish on the opposite side of the tank :) what are you going to do with all the babies?

Geomancer 10-03-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 (Post 1264520)
They do seem to be keeping all the other fish on the opposite side of the tank :) what are you going to do with all the babies?

There won't be any, Angel's will eat the eggs if they feel there is any threat to them, plus it is very uncommon for them to resist eating the eggs the first couple times they spawn.

It's always possible for fry to result, nature can always find a way, but it would be the exception and not the norm ;)

I'm not going to actively try to breed them. I would need a pair of 40B tanks to accomplish that. One to hold the parents (and nothing else) and the second to raise the fry.

Freshcatch 10-03-2012 09:07 PM

Nice video of them.. and great looking tank!

Geomancer 10-04-2012 12:38 PM

Thanks!

I've also noticed that in my 20 gallon, the Cory's have spawned yet again, but they do that somewhat often (4 or 5 times in the past 10 months). No survivors yet on them, but I've considered several times trying to put a few eggs into a breeder net just to give it a try.

I don't know where all these fish learn this innapropriate behavior from >.<

Geomancer 10-04-2012 07:10 PM

And, all the eggs are gone. Dad was hungry apparently hehe. It is what I figured would happen, but they almost made it to fry. I believe they hatch at around the 60 hour mark.

DragonFyre14 10-04-2012 07:19 PM

So are the angelfish going to stop being so territorial? or is this going to continue for a little while?

Geomancer 10-05-2012 06:40 PM

Only while spawning, all the eggs are gone now and everything is back to the status quo. They'll continually try to spawn though every few weeks provided conditions are to their liking.

Geomancer 10-18-2012 04:29 PM

And they've spawned again, 15 days after the first.

Poor fish in the tank, they only get two weeks of freedom between banishments.

DragonFyre14 10-18-2012 04:30 PM

oh wow. hopefully they'll slow down and the other fish will get a little more time in between soon enough...