Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   20 gallon high, threadfin or forktail rainbows? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/20-gallon-high-threadfin-forktail-rainbows-116117/)

Rdb2013 10-03-2012 08:47 AM

20 gallon high, threadfin or forktail rainbows?

As my 20 gallon continues to finish its fishless cycle I have been contemplating which fish I want to put in it... I wanted a South American puffer but from reading about it and such I get te impression a group of 3 is needed for comfort, 20 is no where large enough for 3 and I don't want to have an Unhappy puffer alone.

So I moved on to looking at some shrimp. Either jelly shrimp or mandarin shrimp are going to be my choice of about 5 of them.

I've always like the forktail rainbows and lately the threadfin has become appealing as well. I've read about both on many sites but my answer still isn't answered. I figure I can keep about 6 or 7 forktails in my tank or about 8-10 threadfins from what I've read, but which fish is going to be more interesting to watch and better suited for a 20 gallon high? Both fish seem active and like to have multiple in the tank, but I'm not sure which is better suited for my tank, forktails seem to be on the move constantly and I don't want them unhappy in a 20 gallon, and threadfins seem to sit around ad I don't want a boring tank. So if anyone has experience with either fish and can add some input on either species to help me make a decision, it'd be greatly appreciated

1077 10-03-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdb2013 (Post 1264178)
As my 20 gallon continues to finish its fishless cycle I have been contemplating which fish I want to put in it... I wanted a South American puffer but from reading about it and such I get te impression a group of 3 is needed for comfort, 20 is no where large enough for 3 and I don't want to have an Unhappy puffer alone.

So I moved on to looking at some shrimp. Either jelly shrimp or mandarin shrimp are going to be my choice of about 5 of them.

I've always like the forktail rainbows and lately the threadfin has become appealing as well. I've read about both on many sites but my answer still isn't answered. I figure I can keep about 6 or 7 forktails in my tank or about 8-10 threadfins from what I've read, but which fish is going to be more interesting to watch and better suited for a 20 gallon high? Both fish seem active and like to have multiple in the tank, but I'm not sure which is better suited for my tank, forktails seem to be on the move constantly and I don't want them unhappy in a 20 gallon, and threadfins seem to sit around ad I don't want a boring tank. So if anyone has experience with either fish and can add some input on either species to help me make a decision, it'd be greatly appreciated

Have kept both.
Whoever told you the Threadfin's just sit around ,prolly was keeping them in water that did not suit them .
Male threadfin's frequently flicking their fins to interest females, is really something to see in my view.
If my water was fairly hard,,I would opt for the forktail rainbow's, who are very pretty fish as well.
Male Forktail's are a little more aggressive with other males than the threadfin's, so larger tank would benefit them.
If water is not too hard,,the threadfin's would be my choice.l
Threadfin's play nicer.

Rdb2013 10-03-2012 05:23 PM

Okay, how many would you say? From
What I've read the threads grow 1.5 to 2 Inches and many
People suggest 8-10 in a 20
Gallon high.
Posted via Mobile Device

1077 10-04-2012 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdb2013 (Post 1264604)
Okay, how many would you say? From
What I've read the threads grow 1.5 to 2 Inches and many
People suggest 8-10 in a 20
Gallon high.
Posted via Mobile Device

Were it me,, I would place two or three males (more colorful), and five or six females if I could find em.
Males are most often seen for sale, for as mentioned,,, they are more colorful.
Males don't really exhibit the posturing,posing for attention, without the presence of a few females.