Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Koi Swordtail keep dying, help please! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/koi-swordtail-keep-dying-help-please-116112/)

jingiesun 10-03-2012 07:29 AM

Koi Swordtail keep dying, help please!

Hi everyone,

I have a 10 gallon tank at home, and this tank has been set up for about 2 years now. I have 2 platy in there and a snail. 2 weeks ago I purchased 2 koi swordtai, one of them died about a week later, so I got another one for replacement yesterday. This morning when I check the tank, one of them died again and the poor thing was lying at the bottom of the tank. The other one doesn't look too good either, it was swimming at the top of the tank right now and looking very strange.

I checked the pH and everything seems normal. I did however, routinely changed the water yesterday. (20% change) and currently the tank's temperature is 82.

Please help out, I don't know what's wrong! Should I go out and buy some more next week? I think they do get along with platy right?

I am feeling like a fish killer right now, and any advise would be greatly appreciated.:cry:

Thanks,

J.

1077 10-03-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingiesun (Post 1264138)
Hi everyone,

I have a 10 gallon tank at home, and this tank has been set up for about 2 years now. I have 2 platy in there and a snail. 2 weeks ago I purchased 2 koi swordtai, one of them died about a week later, so I got another one for replacement yesterday. This morning when I check the tank, one of them died again and the poor thing was lying at the bottom of the tank. The other one doesn't look too good either, it was swimming at the top of the tank right now and looking very strange.

I checked the pH and everything seems normal. I did however, routinely changed the water yesterday. (20% change) and currently the tank's temperature is 82.

Please help out, I don't know what's wrong! Should I go out and buy some more next week? I think they do get along with platy right?

I am feeling like a fish killer right now, and any advise would be greatly appreciated.:cry:

Thanks,

J.

Let's review a few thing's with regard's to swordtail's.
Tank should be in the range of thirty gallons (maybe 20 gal long). These are active fish that need swimming room.
They and the platy's would much prefer temp on cool side, 74 to 76 degree's F.
Hard alkaline water with pH between 7.4 and 8.0, Hardness (GH) 10+ degree's.
One male per four or five females, (larger tank needed for this).
Two or more males will squabble with varying degree's of aggression in all but four foot or larger tank's.
Diet should include some spirulina flake,vegetable flake,and or algae .
Water must test Zero for ammonia,nitrites each day ,all day.
Weekly water changes of 35 to 50 percent.