Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   possible to have a newt in my tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/possible-have-newt-my-tank-116090/)

madyotto 10-02-2012 09:19 PM

possible to have a newt in my tank?

Ok so i have kept fish in large tanks only since i was a kid

now i have always been mega interested in newts just never kept them before

so here is the big question is it possible to keep some kind of aquatic newt in my tank without no ill effects on my fish

my tank is 160L with a 100L sump which adds 60L of water so 220L in circulation so if it is only a bit of extra pollution i need to worry about i won't unless its a hell of a lot

is this possible ?

if so what type of newt would i need and what problems/needs would i need to overcome/meet

any help would be very much appreciated

Boredomb 10-02-2012 09:53 PM

I have kept Firebelly newts in the past. They are super easy to keep but need to be able to get out of the water. I don't know of any they can stay completely under water.
Posted via Mobile Device

Olympia 10-02-2012 10:01 PM

Axolotl?

emeraldsky 10-03-2012 11:35 AM

Newts and axolotls are generally best kept in non-fish environments.

Newts need somewhere to get out of the water and will eat fish.

Axolotls dont need to get out of the water but they will happily eat any fish that decides to come near it. Most fish will pick at the gills as well since they look like worms. I've even had friends pull out ghost shrimp that were nibbling the gills.

Newts/Axolotls are also very dirty and need to be kept at specific temperatures. I'm not as familiar with other newts but I know axolotls need to be kept in temps around 68-70. Anything prolonged over 75 will stress them out and kill them.

Axolotls are also clumsy and will uproot plants and may accidentally nip at leaves, causing them to tear, my poor lily looks like streamers now
/sob

Byron 10-03-2012 02:17 PM

My direc t experience is only with newts, but I agree with all that's been posted so far. They must have an area above water, it can be a bit damp, but they do like to leave the water and roam about over moss, logs, stones, gravel.

Newts are best on their own. And acquire all of them together, at the same time as much as possible. Years ago I read that once an amphibian habitat is established, additional amphibians should not be added to it. And in my experience over many years, this has been sound advice; new newts for some reason rarely survive past a few weeks, and sometimes an existing newt will die at the same time. Perhaps something to do with toxins released by the newts, diseases, or whatever.

One of the most common newts is the Japanese Firebelly Newt. I bought two back in 1983 and they turned out to be male/female, and bred in 1985. My last surviving offspring lived into its 21st year (2006), and would probably have gone longer had it not managed to escape the tank and die before I could find it. So, in the proper environment and with good care, newts can be very long-lived.

Byron.