Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Shrimp questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/shrimp-questions-116075/)

DragonFyre14 10-02-2012 06:57 PM

Shrimp questions
 
So my brother has a small tank (probably around 5 gallons or so) and I plan to give him some of the guppy fry from my tank (after they get a little bigger) and he wanted to put something in his tank to clean up the algae and excess food and such. I have done some research on this, and since I don't really want to go down the road of snails (don't want to worry about them overpopulating his tank) I was thinking shrimp. Partly because they don't breed quite as easily and quickly as snails, and personally i think they are cuter.
So are there any types of shrimp that are
a. Inexpensive
b. can survive in the small tank
c. have some color
d. they are compatible with guppies?
Any help would be much appreciated. The tank won't be a brackish water tank, but might have some salt in there from time to time.

GwenInNM 10-02-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 (Post 1263696)
So my brother has a small tank (probably around 5 gallons or so) and I plan to give him some of the guppy fry from my tank (after they get a little bigger) and he wanted to put something in his tank to clean up the algae and excess food and such. I have done some research on this, and since I don't really want to go down the road of snails (don't want to worry about them overpopulating his tank) I was thinking shrimp. Partly because they don't breed quite as easily and quickly as snails, and personally i think they are cuter.
So are there any types of shrimp that are
a. Inexpensive
b. can survive in the small tank
c. have some color
d. they are compatible with guppies?
Any help would be much appreciated. The tank won't be a brackish water tank, but might have some salt in there from time to time.

I would go with ghost shrimp. Very cheap and incredibly adaptable, even to some salt :)

DragonFyre14 10-02-2012 09:31 PM

Most likely, when its time to get the shrimp, I will most likely end up going with the ghost shrimp mostly because they are cheap and a lot easier to find. I was just wondering if there was any shrimp that had more color but was still suited to the aquarium. Most shrimp can be in a smaller tank correct?
Posted via Mobile Device

GwenInNM 10-03-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 (Post 1263863)
Most likely, when its time to get the shrimp, I will most likely end up going with the ghost shrimp mostly because they are cheap and a lot easier to find. I was just wondering if there was any shrimp that had more color but was still suited to the aquarium. Most shrimp can be in a smaller tank correct?
Posted via Mobile Device

I have Red cherry shrimp that are relatively easy to keep, and breed, with water on the softer, lower ph side. They will not handle salt, but I will say I put a couple juveniles in with my puffer (brackish), to eat, and he didn't see one of them as I put them in. 2 weeks or more later, I saw one holding on to a moss ball, so I guess they are pretty hardy. I rescued him out of there:lol:

There are many varieties of shrimp that people use in nano tanks, but most will get eaten by fish, so they are usually kept in tanks by themselves

Gwen

DragonFyre14 10-03-2012 07:31 AM

Thanks. yeah I don't think there will be much salt in there, only when the fish seem like they are getting sick or something. And I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think that guppies will really eat the shrimp (most likely because i would think they are too small)

emeraldsky 10-03-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 (Post 1264139)
Thanks. yeah I don't think there will be much salt in there, only when the fish seem like they are getting sick or something. And I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think that guppies will really eat the shrimp (most likely because i would think they are too small)

Guppies will eat the shrimp babies and possible pick on the adult shrimp if you get a ornery guppy but for the most part, adult shrimp should be ok. So long as you have a hiding place for the shrimp, theyll be fine.
Get a large clump of moss or some guppy grass or something similar.


Also, I give my vote for Red cherry or any of the color variants!

DragonFyre14 10-03-2012 03:28 PM

Okay cool. yeah I have a larger tank so, if one of the guppies to seem to be getting aggressive I can always replace him/her with a less aggressive one. Personally I do like the Red Cherry Shrimp. I also saw one online called a Tiger shrimp I think. I really like the tiger stripes.

Oh and would it be better to add the shrimp first and then the guppies, or the guppies first? or does it not really matter?

emeraldsky 10-03-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 (Post 1264495)
Okay cool. yeah I have a larger tank so, if one of the guppies to seem to be getting aggressive I can always replace him/her with a less aggressive one. Personally I do like the Red Cherry Shrimp. I also saw one online called a Tiger shrimp I think. I really like the tiger stripes.

Oh and would it be better to add the shrimp first and then the guppies, or the guppies first? or does it not really matter?


Tiger shrimp as nice bit more expensive and a bit harder to take care of.

It wont matter what order you put them in really, though if you put the shrimp in first, theyll be able to scout out hiding places.

DragonFyre14 10-03-2012 03:59 PM

Thanks. I'll probably stick to cherry shrimp. I think I will add the guppies first, just to make sure the tank is fully cycled. (The tank had some guppies in it a couple months ago, but has not had any fish in it for a while. but has had water in it.)

emeraldsky 10-03-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 (Post 1264518)
Thanks. I'll probably stick to cherry shrimp. I think I will add the guppies first, just to make sure the tank is fully cycled. (The tank had some guppies in it a couple months ago, but has not had any fish in it for a while. but has had water in it.)

Im still iffy on the whole cycling process but I think you need a source of ammonia for the bacteria to eat so they stay alive. I dont think just keeping water in the tank will keep your cycle going, you may want to make a new thread about this and double check.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2