Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-tank-116064/)

SombreroBanana 10-02-2012 05:26 PM

New Tank
 
Stocking
So I have a 20g long aquarium, and I'm going to start cycling it soon. I kind of have an idea of what I'm stocking it with. 6 kuhli loaches, a trio of scarlet badis (2 males, 1 female), maybe 1 of a smaller apistos species, and definitely some inverts that won't be eaten by their tankmates (suggestions?). I've heard that kuhli loaches will eat most inverts, so if this is a huge problem I could swap the loaches for otocinclus. Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Byron 10-02-2012 06:19 PM

If you check our profile of the kuhli loach [click the shaded name] you will note that its natural food includes inverts, insect larvae and crustaceans small enough to fit into its mouth. This is actually true of most fish; crustaceans (shrimp, etc) are a natural item of the diet of almost all of our fish species, at least the omnivorous ones.

Byron.

SombreroBanana 10-02-2012 08:03 PM

So I should go with the otos?

Byron 10-03-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SombreroBanana (Post 1263775)
So I should go with the otos?

Well, unless the shrimp are tiny, I doubt otos would eat them. Otos are primarily vegetarian, grazing algae biofilms. But here, the shrimp also graze algae, so this would be setting up competition for food between the two.

Are you just looking for some sort of "substrate" fish?

Byron.

SombreroBanana 10-04-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1264264)
Well, unless the shrimp are tiny, I doubt otos would eat them. Otos are primarily vegetarian, grazing algae biofilms. But here, the shrimp also graze algae, so this would be setting up competition for food between the two.

Are you just looking for some sort of "substrate" fish?

Byron.

Yeah, I'd like some action down near the substrate, but I don't want something that will eat other fish. Suggestions?

Byron 10-04-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SombreroBanana (Post 1265423)
Yeah, I'd like some action down near the substrate, but I don't want something that will eat other fish. Suggestions?

Depending upon the size of the shrimp, some corys might work. Especially the dwarf species, three of which are in our profiles.

Canadian Fish 10-05-2012 01:54 AM

I second corys. That's what I have for bottom feeders in my 20 gallon tank. They are constantly active and scavenging the bottom of the tank. They're cool fish, and you'll probably see them more than the kuhlis, which are prone to hiding.

SombreroBanana 10-05-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1265720)
Depending upon the size of the shrimp, some corys might work. Especially the dwarf species, three of which are in our profiles.

Alrighty. Thanks. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2