Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   1 Week into Cycling Results (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/1-week-into-cycling-results-116033/)

robedadam 10-02-2012 08:44 AM

1 Week into Cycling Results

One week in :-D! Lots of green water / algae boom, which apparently is quite common, possibly caused by my excessive leaving on of the lights! Now only leaving lights on 8 hours a day, hoping this resolves it.

Planted aquarium
Lots of rock & wood
200L
First few days ran media from another aquarium before replacing all media
Fluval 305 Filter

Results as of last night:
Cl 0.8
Ph 7.2
Kh 15
Gh 16
No2 1
No3 25

Any feedback?

madyotto 10-02-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robedadam (Post 1263189)
One week in :-D! Lots of green water / algae boom, which apparently is quite common, possibly caused by my excessive leaving on of the lights! Now only leaving lights on 8 hours a day, hoping this resolves it.

Planted aquarium
Lots of rock & wood
200L
First few days ran media from another aquarium before replacing all media
Fluval 305 Filter

Results as of last night:
Cl 0.8
Ph 7.2
Kh 15
Gh 16
No2 1
No3 25

Any feedback?

just keep doing water changes every 4-5 days about 50% or 25% every other day and you should be fine

marshallsea 10-02-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madyotto (Post 1263260)
just keep doing water changes every 4-5 days about 50% or 25% every other day and you should be fine

Ar

robedadam 10-02-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madyotto (Post 1263260)

Ok- thanks. Won't these reset the cycling process? Are you recommending this because of my water parameters or because of the green water? How long do you recommend I do this for?
Posted via Mobile Device

robedadam 10-02-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1263345)
Ar

Not sure what "Ar" is? Is it an abbreviation?
Posted via Mobile Device

Fredsterbit 10-02-2012 02:07 PM

What is Cl?

robedadam 10-02-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredsterbit (Post 1263438)
What is Cl?

Chlorine according to the test kit
Posted via Mobile Device

madyotto 10-02-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robedadam (Post 1263373)
Ok- thanks. Won't these reset the cycling process? Are you recommending this because of my water parameters or because of the green water? How long do you recommend I do this for?
Posted via Mobile Device

i think you may be at some misunderstanding here

when you cycle a tank it is to build up bacteria in =

1. your filter media.
2. your substrate.
3. ornaments.
almost anything in the tank.

if the chemical ammonia/nitrite/nitrate get to much for the bacteria it will kill it and your tank looses its immunity so when you are in the cycle period you have to do water changes to dilute the chemicals to let the bacteria colonize correctly

use a top quality water conditioner i wont suggest any names because im in uk and they do differ

do this for at least 7-9 weeks

robedadam 10-03-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madyotto (Post 1263626)
i think you may be at some misunderstanding here

when you cycle a tank it is to build up bacteria in =

1. your filter media.
2. your substrate.
3. ornaments.
almost anything in the tank.

if the chemical ammonia/nitrite/nitrate get to much for the bacteria it will kill it and your tank looses its immunity so when you are in the cycle period you have to do water changes to dilute the chemicals to let the bacteria colonize correctly

use a top quality water conditioner i wont suggest any names because im in uk and they do differ

do this for at least 7-9 weeks

It appears as though I am!

Thank you, I knew about building bacteria up. I didnt know about the water changes whilst doing a fish less cycle, so thanks!

I am in the UK also, perhaps you could PM me? I do have some now, but likewise, I wouldnt want to say on here.

Re: the 7-9 weeks, (I asume you mean cycle and water change fishless for 7-9 weeks) I found this to vary on other websites i.e. some people successfully cycling in 2 weeks. Isnt it a case of testing water parametres regularly to see when I have cycled? Especialyl as I used filter media from anothe tank?

Tazman 10-03-2012 07:34 AM

Using media from an already well established tank will indeed speed the cycle up. It can still take some time though for the bacteria to fully establish.

What are you using to cycle the tank other than filter media?

We have a guide which you can look at, which will give you a lot of information. Here is the link http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/