Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Clay pot as a "hiding" spot for Pleco? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/clay-pot-hiding-spot-pleco-115897/)

Sqbear46 09-30-2012 06:37 PM

Clay pot as a "hiding" spot for Pleco?

I've seen these used in other tanks. What do i need to do to the pot before adding it to my tank? It's going in my 25 gal.

Thanks

Romad 09-30-2012 06:57 PM

Is it a common pleco? If so, what size pot are you talking about? If the really small terra cotta pots that people use to start seedlings, it will outgrow it pretty quickly. It will also outgrow a 25 gallon tank fairly quickly too.

You might want to build a little cave type hiding spot out of slate with some silk plants around it (assuming you don't have real plants). Some people use pvc pipe too.

Sqbear46 09-30-2012 08:19 PM

Thanks for your response. I've had this pleco about 4 months and he's still small enough to fit in my 25 gal. I have a 46 gal bow front that i'm in the process of cleaning/setting up (i need to buy a few more things 1st) so he will be moved there in the next month or 2.

I think i will use pvc pipe, do i need to do anything to it before i add this to my tank?

Thank you

AndrewM21 09-30-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sqbear46 (Post 1261614)
Thanks for your response. I've had this pleco about 4 months and he's still small enough to fit in my 25 gal. I have a 46 gal bow front that i'm in the process of cleaning/setting up (i need to buy a few more things 1st) so he will be moved there in the next month or 2.

I think i will use pvc pipe, do i need to do anything to it before i add this to my tank?

Thank you

You need to wash it thoroughly without using soap or any other type of chemical.

pop 11-12-2012 03:09 PM

Hello
PVC is not approved for indoor use at all for potable water. Only cpvc and pex is approved for indoor use with warm or hot potable water. Neither of these products will work for you. Pvc will leach toxins into the water when used indoors.
pop

Tigris 11-16-2012 08:35 PM

That's not true, you can use PVC in an aquarium whether it is fresh or salt. I've personally used it for my catfish and kuhli loaches. The kuhlis wouldn't be reproducing if there was toxin. Also many LFS use it for housing for shy and expensive fish. I don't think they would risk a $ 200-300 fish.
Posted via Mobile Device

pop 11-17-2012 09:02 AM

Hello Tigris:

Actually it is true that PVC is not approved for use with potable water indoors. The reason given is that pvc leaches toxins when its inside a building or when there is warm water inside the pvc pipe. Look it up on the internet the key word is potable water, pvc can be used indoors for non-potable water such as sewers and drains. I would not use pvc in my aqwuarium nor would I believe much what the local fish store has to say they are only interested in profit margin (stressed, unhealthy betas in small plastic glasses on the corner shelf). Each person can experience fish keeping differently I hope you have a nice day and enjoy fish keeping as much as I do.

pop

Tigris 11-17-2012 10:41 AM

Unfortunately you've had a bad experience with a LFS but the ones around are very well kept and I know the owners and they all have real passion for fish keeping. Your research says PVC isn't safe well my says it is and I've had personal experience with using that, especially with sensitive fish.

You honestly can't say PVC is bad considering you can go into our DIY forum and see how many times people use it in the aquarium and in the plumbing. You can even google aquairum decorations and a vast majority uses PVC. Therefore PVC is not harmful to fish.

http://www.qualitymarine.com/News/Fe...nks?-(10/11/10)
Posted via Mobile Device

pop 11-17-2012 04:29 PM

Hello Tigris.
One can not argue with experience. I did not say pvc was bad all I was meaning is that pvc is not approved for indoor use with potable water by the people who approve what is to be used.

As you said Therefore PVC is not harmful to fish.

Thanks for the information,
pop

Tigris 11-17-2012 04:42 PM

At the temperatures of aquariums PVC isn't harmful. Now I'm not saying of you but 100F water through PVC , nothing will happen because I've witnessed it melt and the fumes are toxic
Posted via Mobile Device