Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   Thoughts on GSP with yellow tail damsel?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/thoughts-gsp-yellow-tail-damsel-115894/)

GwenInNM 09-30-2012 06:11 PM

Thoughts on GSP with yellow tail damsel??
 
I have a juvi, GSP in a 68 gallon with some live and dead rock. He is the only fish in the tank, but I'm thinking about adding 1 or 2 yellow tail damsels. I hear some people have success. Any thoughts on this from someone on this forum. My salinity is 1.021

I really don't want to see a fish be killed, but I'm also feeling my little GSP is pretty lost in such a big tank. I'm wanting to add something.

Gwen

madyotto 10-01-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 1261436)
I have a juvi, GSP in a 68 gallon with some live and dead rock. He is the only fish in the tank, but I'm thinking about adding 1 or 2 yellow tail damsels. I hear some people have success. Any thoughts on this from someone on this forum. My salinity is 1.021

I really don't want to see a fish be killed, but I'm also feeling my little GSP is pretty lost in such a big tank. I'm wanting to add something.

Gwen

i have 2 gsp at young juvi stage for the time being they are in fresh water as they would be born in the wild i plan on adding salt as they grow up to mimic they natural habitats

i have them with 2 kribensis cichlids and a black ghost knife and so far so good they get on fine and will all withstand close to brackish water
however i can not tell you about the yellow tail damsels
just thought ya might like some ideas thats all

Reefing Madness 10-01-2012 11:41 PM

Sorry, your out of my realm there. Puffers eat other fish as I know it, so once he's big enough to catch the Damsel, I'd think he would eat em. But, then again, the Yellow Tails are pretty fierce themselves.

GwenInNM 11-07-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1262985)
Sorry, your out of my realm there. Puffers eat other fish as I know it, so once he's big enough to catch the Damsel, I'd think he would eat em. But, then again, the Yellow Tails are pretty fierce themselves.

Just to update you. My GSP was caught "eating" one of the new damsels, and it was definately a weaker one from the others. I was so sad and grossed out. The poor thing was still alive with half its upper body gone. I quickly netted it out, and cut his head off. Ugh! He is showing no interest in the others and they don't seem afraid of him. We'll see what happens overnight :(

Gwen

Ogre44 11-07-2012 09:09 PM

OK, have now lost any desire for a GSP.
Ate him in chunks?
I'm sorry you experienced that.

Reefing Madness 11-07-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogre44 (Post 1302490)
OK, have now lost any desire for a GSP.
Ate him in chunks?
I'm sorry you experienced that.

Not a pretty sight to witness.
:shock:

GwenInNM 11-08-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1302513)
Not a pretty sight to witness.
:shock:

Yeah, it was pretty sad, I was shocked how quickly I took action, and got a sharp knife and quickly cut his head off. He was clearly suffering,and could not have survived.

Just to update you - no new deaths. . whew! I'm really wondering if there wasn't something wrong with that fish,because I noticed more often than not he was by himself, and when I fed them, he didn't eat. Not that that made it "right" that my GSP started munching him :twisted:

Gwen

evanlundberg4 11-08-2012 09:12 PM

I think its a damsel thing. Always seems like they bully and single one out of the group
Posted via Mobile Device

GwenInNM 11-17-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evanlundberg4 (Post 1303677)
I think its a damsel thing. Always seems like they bully and single one out of the group
Posted via Mobile Device

Reefing Maddness was right, hum, not sure about these fish. Just noticed that one is completely bullying the other, to where the fins are shredded. Have no were to put the poor guy, but I guess before long I'll be down to one damsel, and I won't get more.

I'm kind of addicted to the coral thing now, and don't plan on adding any fish right now anyways.

Gwen

evanlundberg4 11-17-2012 03:46 PM

Yeah even my green chromis that are supposed to be fairly peaceful started chasing each other. The big one picks on the little one. I moved him to my quarantine tank indefinitely LOL going to see if the other gets bigger maybe he'll be able to stand up for himself. I hear you on the corals. I've been picking up small frags periodically. Just got one of those candy cane lps frags like you have actually. Good luck with those little buggers.
Posted via Mobile Device


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2