Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   fair price for tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/fair-price-tank-11586/)

crazy4fish 02-05-2008 06:59 PM

fair price for tank?

is $700 a fair price for a 130 gallon and the following included.

-beautiful flawless cherry stain stand with 4 doors including a TON of storage space below
-cherry stained canopy in flawless condition which really makes the tank look great overall
-custom built plexi-glass hoods (to keep evaporation off of the top of the canopy)
-paid $650 when purchased brand new and never used before so it's only a few years old
-the glass is flawless with NO scratches or chips
-full length bright light strip

included in sale:
-"Amazon Waters" aquarium background
-2 200 watt Rena Top Cal Excel heaters
-2 Rena Filstar xP3 canister filters with lots of bio-media inside (one is borderline brand new, and the other is about a year old, both work great)
-natural gravel
-assorted pieces of real driftwood
-assorted natural looking plastic plants
-Piranha Care book
-Box of brand new Rena Filstar Micro-Filtration pads
-Brand new unopened bag of Bio-Chem Zorb Filtration media
-2 48" flexible bubble wands with air line included
-Brand new Rena Air 400 air pump (only used for maybe 2 weeks straight at one time; very quiet)
-algae scraper
-1.5 large bags of Hikari Cichlid Gold pellets
-Aquarium Pharmaceuticals brand Freshwater Master Test kit

i'm new to buying tanks and have no clue what a fair price would be! the tank i have now was bought for me by family.

herefishy 02-05-2008 07:22 PM

There is no such thing as a fair price for second hand equipment. The seller never gets what it is worth and the buyer pays more than it's worth. Now, if the question were is it a good price, I would say probably. I looked in a local classified paper here and 135g tanks were selling from $500 to $650. It would just depend on the market.

SeaSerpant 02-05-2008 08:13 PM

i would say that is a fair price to pay for something that is that perfect :D . Just my 2 cents

dodgeboy 02-05-2008 08:44 PM

i would offer less just because all they can say is no. knowing full well i intend to pay close to what they want. i never pay full asking price most adds are higher than they expect to recieve, at least thats what i do. same as in construction you figure out a price add 10 % then when the costumer asks for a cash price you say "i'll knock ten percent off just for you"

Jasey 02-05-2008 10:41 PM

That sounds like a good deal to me, especially the stand from how you describe it. Stands can be expensive. 55g stands at my LFS were selling between $200-$300. Sounds like it has everything you need except for fish. I think for a 130g it would end up costing at least $700 anyway if you get quality products.

crazy4fish 02-06-2008 02:20 PM

i have another question now. :roll:
i was looking through some more tank adds and saw a really nice one but i came with a bunch of cichlids. would it be better to buy a tank and stock it my self or would the fish that come with it be ok? :? i dont mind the type of fish but didnt know if shipping them and the tank and getting everything in place would be too much on them? plus when it gets shipped(if i buy it) they would have to take the water out of the tank(right?) and so would i have to wait for it to cycle :x before the fish go back in? sorry for such a long post. :roll: