Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Lighting for a 20g long (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/lighting-20g-long-115857/)

Tigris 09-30-2012 01:08 PM

Lighting for a 20g long

What would be a good lighting for a 20 long? Right now I have a single 24'' T8 on it.

I want to be at a moderate to high lighting because I am growing Cambomba, the red variant, Bacopa, and Duckweed.

I'm would also appreciate suggestion for other plants that my kuhlis and honey gourami would enjoy playing with.

Byron 10-01-2012 01:17 PM

With a good tube, the present fixture might be fine. A "daylight" tube with around 6500K rating. If the additional expense is not an issue, a good tube is the Hagen Life-Flo, or the ZooMed UltraSun; both are 6700K.

Liquid fertilization will obviously be needed, as the Cabomba is fast-growing. I will caution that this still might not be sufficient for this plant, but before buying a new fixture it may be worth trying. A 20g long is not as deep a tank so the light will be more intense. But if this should prove insufficient, a dual T8 fixture will be the next step up [a single T5 HO would work, but I don't think one can get single-tube T5 fixtures].

Another option is incandescant [screw-in bulbs rather than fluorescent tube]. If a fixture with 3 sockets is available, using CFL Daylight 6500K bulbs can work. These come is varying wattages, the higher the wattage the more light with CFL bulbs.

One other factor enters this though, and this is CO2. Stem plants, especially reddish ones, need more light and nutrients including CO2, so even with more light the CO2 may not be sufficient. As every aquarium is unique, it is difficult to be precise.

Byron.

Tigris 10-01-2012 01:36 PM

I was looking into CFLs but I couldnt find the kelvin ratings on them.
I have seen single t5 strips but I would need a way to raise it off the glass.

I'm dosing API CO2 booster and flourish but the API is every other day until I can get a DIY Co2 system
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 10-01-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

I was looking into CFLs but I couldnt find the kelvin ratings on them.
Most don't have this, they may say "warm" or similar. But the 6500K do have the Kelvin, at least GE does. It is sometimes called "Natural Daylight" or "Super Daylight" or something similar.

Quote:

I have seen single t5 strips but I would need a way to raise it off the glass.
Do you mean that the fixture does not fit across the tank so as to sit on the frame?

Quote:

I'm dosing API CO2 booster and flourish but the API is every other day until I can get a DIY Co2 system
I must caution on the API CO2 Booster. This is glutaraldehyde and water, the same as Seachem's Excel. Glutaraldehyde is a toxic disinfectant used in hospitals because it kills bacteria. Some plants may be killed at normal dosage; at higher doses fish and bacteria will be affected and likely killed. For this reason alone, I will never use it, but rely solely on natural CO2.

Byron.

Tigris 10-01-2012 05:04 PM

The T5 is a fixture but it is not encased anything, just the bulb and balladt
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 10-01-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigris (Post 1262498)
The T5 is a fixture but it is not encased anything, just the bulb and balladt
Posted via Mobile Device

Got it. Yes, it needs some sort of housing.