Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Crazy Platies...is this normal? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/crazy-platies-normal-115746/)

CallieDee 09-29-2012 12:47 PM

Crazy Platies...is this normal?
 
Hey all, my boyfriend is setting up his 55 gallon tank and we are using 7 platies to cycle. Please first of all my post is NOT regarding whether it is OK to cycle with platies, I would appreciate no judgement or lectures from those of you who do not think it is OK to cycle with fish-in. We did the fish in cycle with our cichlids (on accident) and they all turned out perfect.

Anyways I have never owned platies before and they are really awesome to watch, especially since they are alone in a huge tank. My question is...are they always so active? I feel like they are skimming the top for food constantly and we don't want to overfeed, but seriously they are psychotic. Is this normal?

Thanks all!

marshallsea 09-29-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CallieDee (Post 1259928)
Hey all, my boyfriend is setting up his 55 gallon tank and we are using 7 platies to cycle. Please first of all my post is NOT regarding whether it is OK to cycle with platies, I would appreciate no judgement or lectures from those of you who do not think it is OK to cycle with fish-in. We did the fish in cycle with our cichlids (on accident) and they all turned out perfect.

Anyways I have never owned platies before and they are really awesome to watch, especially since they are alone in a huge tank. My question is...are they always so active? I feel like they are skimming the top for food constantly and we don't want to overfeed, but seriously they are psychotic. Is this normal?

Thanks all!

No, mine don't skim the top. They are always picking around on the bottom or on plants/driftwood. Maybe you need to do a water change. I've cycled 2 tanks with platys and found it's best to do daily water changes until cycled. Have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites? What kit are you using? But they are active. Are you near the tank when they do this? Try being away from the tank and watching, as when I'm near mine they go into feeding mode.P.S. You should keep a ratio of 1 male -2 female. Too many females leads to f on f aggression.

CallieDee 09-29-2012 01:39 PM

Nothing has spiked yet regarding ammonia, nitrates, nitrites. We have had the tank set up and running for about 3 weeks now. He originally bought 2 mollies from walmart and they died 2 days later...I maintain that they died because they were from walmart.

Then I went and bought 4 platies from a different pet store and then just went out and got 3 more so now we have 7, which I'm hoping will kick start the cycle. They are swimming all over the tank I don't know, maybe I'm just not used to such active fish. My 55 gallon has cichlids and they are pretty sedate.

marshallsea 09-29-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CallieDee (Post 1259978)
Nothing has spiked yet regarding ammonia, nitrates, nitrites. We have had the tank set up and running for about 3 weeks now. He originally bought 2 mollies from walmart and they died 2 days later...I maintain that they died because they were from walmart.

Then I went and bought 4 platies from a different pet store and then just went out and got 3 more so now we have 7, which I'm hoping will kick start the cycle. They are swimming all over the tank I don't know, maybe I'm just not used to such active fish. My 55 gallon has cichlids and they are pretty sedate.

As long as you keep water changed you should be ok. Platys are always doing something or going somewhere and as long as they're not staying at the top only, they're good.

CallieDee 09-29-2012 02:18 PM

Thanks, they are really neat little fish. How many would you say is a good healthy group? Even though it is my boyfriend's tank I might get more to get a big school going.

marshallsea 09-29-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CallieDee (Post 1260014)
Thanks, they are really neat little fish. How many would you say is a good healthy group? Even though it is my boyfriend's tank I might get more to get a big school going.

Platys don't really school. They are prolific breeders and before you know it you will have more than you can handle. I have a 20g and I keep 1 male 2 females. I have to give the fry away to keep from overcrowding. Hiding places for the fry will help more survive as the parents will eat them. My original plan was to let them be eaten and at first this worked as usually 2 survive each batch. But it seems the parents lose interest in them after a few batches and I'm over overrun. The babies are cute and fun to watch. As I said they don't really school and IME the more Platys you have, the more aggression you have. But you have a 55g and I have a 20g, maybe my advise really won't apply to you. I have tried a group of 5 and they were always fighting so watch yours for a while before adding.

CallieDee 09-29-2012 02:55 PM

Good to know, thanks! If they all survive the cycling process, anything you suggest to be added with them? Maybe a large centerpiece fish and some more calm swimmers

marshallsea 09-29-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CallieDee (Post 1260044)
Good to know, thanks! If they all survive the cycling process, anything you suggest to be added with them? Maybe a large centerpiece fish and some more calm swimmers

I have no experience with other fish, except for my lone pleco, but there are many people on this forum with many years experience, just start a thread on stocking a tank and they will be happy to help.

Sqbear46 09-30-2012 12:32 AM

I've keep platy's for years (way before i knew about this site) I love the dark red color! Plus i find it so relaxing/de-stress to turn off the lights in the room and turn on the tank light and just watch them.

I currently have 4 in my 25gal tank and 3 in my 20gal tank and i've never had a prb with aggression.

One of my females gave birth in a 5 gal tank i cycled for that reason, so once she had her babies i put her back into the 25gal tank. I have 3 more pregnant females (one's in a on the side breeder tank, the other 2 are in the 5 gal tank waiting to deliver. I have no idea what i'm going to do with all the babies....YIKES!

CallieDee 10-03-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sqbear46 (Post 1260766)
I've keep platy's for years (way before i knew about this site) I love the dark red color! Plus i find it so relaxing/de-stress to turn off the lights in the room and turn on the tank light and just watch them.

I currently have 4 in my 25gal tank and 3 in my 20gal tank and i've never had a prb with aggression.

One of my females gave birth in a 5 gal tank i cycled for that reason, so once she had her babies i put her back into the 25gal tank. I have 3 more pregnant females (one's in a on the side breeder tank, the other 2 are in the 5 gal tank waiting to deliver. I have no idea what i'm going to do with all the babies....YIKES!

I have no idea if I'm correct but I think one of my red platies is pregnant...how many fry does an average female have? Also, this tank is currently being cycled and I have no other tank option to put them in...what do I do if she does have fry?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2