Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   ich outbreak (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/ich-outbreak-115744/)

jose1996 09-29-2012 11:37 AM

ich outbreak

my tank is a 20g with 2 swordtails 2 platy 2 blue gourami and a clown loach. as far as i know they all have ich excluding the gourami it came on the swordtails when i bought them i believe. my tank parameters are fine but my fish are covered in it i went to the store i bought the fish from and they sold me a botthe of sera bactopur saying it would treat ich but it doesnt mention it on the bottle i also raised the temp to 84F to help battle it this is the third day since the ich broke out and im really worried about my fish any help or suggestions?

marshallsea 09-29-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jose1996 (Post 1259919)
my tank is a 20g with 2 swordtails 2 platy 2 blue gourami and a clown loach. as far as i know they all have ich excluding the gourami it came on the swordtails when i bought them i believe. my tank parameters are fine but my fish are covered in it i went to the store i bought the fish from and they sold me a botthe of sera bactopur saying it would treat ich but it doesnt mention it on the bottle i also raised the temp to 84F to help battle it this is the third day since the ich broke out and im really worried about my fish any help or suggestions?

3 days isn't long enough and IMO 84f isn't hot enough. Ich has trouble breeding at 86f, I raise my temp to 88-89 for 2 weeks. With this you don't need the meds. A lot of people will disagree with me and say not to do heat and meds but I have with no probs, but not with that med. You just have to watch and make sure they're breathing ok. Heat alone as I do it is enough. If they're really uncomfortable you can take each one out and do a salt bath for some relief, although I'm not familiar with those fish so make sure they are ok with salt. API QUICK CURE is a more common and effective med.

jose1996 09-29-2012 01:43 PM

ok i noticed that my heater wont go that high so i returned it (it was supposed to go to 90 degrees) and got a new one hope it can heat it well enough i have heard heat treating is often the safest way to go about it so thanks for the help

DragonFyre14 09-29-2012 02:53 PM

I'm not sure if all your fish will be able to tolerate it, but sometimes adding some Aquarium salt can help a lot. I've even talked to a lot of people who swear by it. and make sure you do plenty of water changes!

jose1996 09-30-2012 02:26 PM

gourami cant tolerate salt. but anyway my fish look horrible they are really lethargic and just sit at the bottom of the tank so far they all eat should they get better if i leave the temperature at 86 or do i need something else?

marshallsea 09-30-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jose1996 (Post 1261213)
gourami cant tolerate salt. but anyway my fish look horrible they are really lethargic and just sit at the bottom of the tank so far they all eat should they get better if i leave the temperature at 86 or do i need something else?

I would put the temp at 88 for 2 weeks.The higher the temp, the faster the life cycle of ich moves and the faster your fish will get relief. I put mine at 89-90 and watch them. Others say that's too hot but mine have never had a problem. You need to do water changes every other day vacuuming gravel to remove the ich in the gravel. Make sure your replacement water is at the same temp.

jose1996 10-01-2012 01:58 PM

its over. i lost all of them it happened so fast and killed my happy,healthy year old fish.....gonna disinfect my whole tank and start again sometimes thats the best thing to do............R.I.P po,phillip j. fry,cherami,habberkorn,lightnin',rial,and loki

marshallsea 10-01-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jose1996 (Post 1262275)
its over. i lost all of them it happened so fast and killed my happy,healthy year old fish.....gonna disinfect my whole tank and start again sometimes thats the best thing to do............R.I.P po,phillip j. fry,cherami,habberkorn,lightnin',rial,and loki

Sorry to hear it.

eug 10-02-2012 06:18 AM

Sorry to hear Jose. :(

DragonFyre14 10-02-2012 03:48 PM

:( I'm sorry