Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   cardinals and neons question :) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cardinals-neons-question-115651/)

Maestro08 09-28-2012 02:42 AM

cardinals and neons question :)

hi, ive been wanting to make a 100g tank to a freshwater amazon biotope look with NO PLANTS set up.. mainly long thin driftwoods..

questions: (cardinals or neons)
-which tetra will school better? maybe around 50pcs
-which tetras is more hardy?
-do tetras tend to school when threatened by a bigger fish? should i mix a couple angels for them to school? (ive read somewhere that they will just wander around your tank separately, but when you come close, thats when they school.. i want a schooling fish)
-other than neons/cardinals/rummy nose, what other type of fish do school? (i dont like the look of rummy nose :| )

another question:
on my amazon biotope set up, will it look good if i use black sand/ black small gravel? or should i stick to a white sand substrate with long thin driftwoods?

thanks a lot for the future help guys :)

1077 09-28-2012 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro08 (Post 1258791)
hi, ive been wanting to make a 100g tank to a freshwater amazon biotope look with NO PLANTS set up.. mainly long thin driftwoods..

-which tetras is more hardy?
-do tetras tend to school when threatened by a bigger fish? should i mix a couple angels for them to school? (ive read somewhere that they will just wander around your tank separately, but when you come close, thats when they school.. i want a schooling fish)
-other than neons/cardinals/rummy nose, what other type of fish do school? (i dont like the look of rummy nose :| )

another question:
on my amazon biotope set up, will it look good if i use black sand/ black small gravel? or should i stick to a white sand substrate with long thin driftwoods?

thanks a lot for the future help guys :)

Can use search tool here(click on shaded blue) to have a look at fish profiles of both the Neon tetra's as well as Cardinal tetra's.
Neither are particularly difficult fishes but only if need's are met.
Both species school fairly well in large enough number's.

Maestro08 09-28-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 1258841)
Can use search tool here(click on shaded blue) to have a look at fish profiles of both the Neon tetra's as well as Cardinal tetra's.
Neither are particularly difficult fishes but only if need's are met.
Both species school fairly well in large enough number's.

thanks for the reply :) but some questions still remains, ive read both articles already..

-other than neons/cardinals/rummy nose, what other type of fish do school? (i dont like the look of rummy nose )

another question:

i believe these questions are best answered through experienced hobbies't, cause i really wanna know if neons/cardinal will school if i add a large fish like angel fish..

eug 09-29-2012 08:55 AM

Scalare Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare) Profile

Please just read the profiles. There is information there regarding small tetras and angels.

fish monger 09-29-2012 09:50 AM

I have read where it seems that neons sold in the trade these days seem somewhat weaker than in the past. My experience has been just the opposite. Both fish will school...maybe not like those incredible balls of sardines on National Geographic, but they stay pretty much together. My experience has been that fish tend to act normally when they are not stressed. Just about all tetras school as do most barbs. With the large number of fish you mentioned, I think you'll get the impact you want.

Byron 09-29-2012 07:28 PM

First on the substrate issue, the most "authentic" Amazonian substrate is play sand. Now, as you are in the Philippines, I've no idea on what brand if any may be available. But I use a play sand that is a mix of black, gray, white and tan; this replicates the sands in the Rio Negro and many other streams.

On the schooling issue, we first need to clear up what we mean. Some freshwater fish shoal, but none school in the sense of marine fish. All characins are shoaling fish that need a group, and the larger the group and the larger the tank, the more they are inclined to remain close together.

Rummynose tetra are one of the best for this; I know of no other characin that swims together as a group like this species does, and almost continually. I have about 23 in my 5-foot Amazonian Riverscape tank, and they are almost always together, swimming down the length of the tank back and forth. Cardinal tetra are fairly tight shoaling fish, but once they are settled they will spread out from time to time. In their natural habitat, they tend to form groups of 5 within the larger shoal, if they are in a habitat that provides shelter. In the open they tend to remain in the larger shoal, but they do not swim in formation, but rather remain somewhat motionless in a large grouping.

As someone mentioned, you do not want angelfish with either cardinal or neon tetra.

Other characin species that tend to remain in a shoal include most species in the Rosy clade of Hyphessobrycon. Rosy Tetra, Roberts Tetra, Black Phantom Tetra, Bleeding Heart Tetra, etc. These are not active swimmers, they tend to congregate in their favourite areas, generally in shade and out of filter currents.

Hope this is of some help.

Byron.

Maestro08 10-05-2012 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1260448)
First on the substrate issue, the most "authentic" Amazonian substrate is play sand. Now, as you are in the Philippines, I've no idea on what brand if any may be available. But I use a play sand that is a mix of black, gray, white and tan; this replicates the sands in the Rio Negro and many other streams.

i chose to use black river sand instead, it will look more naturally :)

On the schooling issue, we first need to clear up what we mean. Some freshwater fish shoal, but none school in the sense of marine fish. All characins are shoaling fish that need a group, and the larger the group and the larger the tank, the more they are inclined to remain close together.

this is interesting, so i cant go too much on my 100gal, or they'll end up breaking apart.. a nice good sized number of fish will keep them intact, thanks a lot :) will read more into this

Rummynose tetra are one of the best for this; I know of no other characin that swims together as a group like this species does, and almost continually. I have about 23 in my 5-foot Amazonian Riverscape tank, and they are almost always together, swimming down the length of the tank back and forth. Cardinal tetra are fairly tight shoaling fish, but once they are settled they will spread out from time to time. In their natural habitat, they tend to form groups of 5 within the larger shoal, if they are in a habitat that provides shelter. In the open they tend to remain in the larger shoal, but they do not swim in formation, but rather remain somewhat motionless in a large grouping.

noted, but i've seen penguin tetra to school like crazy.. i think they school best, almost all the local fish store that i went that have penguin tetras and rummynose and neons and cardinal with them.. ~~the best in schooling are PENGUIN, then rummy nose, then cardinals, lastly neons~~..

As someone mentioned, you do not want angelfish with either cardinal or neon tetra.

yup, i think im scraping that one out, but will now consider buying discus instead, this is a good idea right? i might mix the discus with cardinals, rummy nose and penguins. and some bottom feeders like loach, cories and algae eaters(otocinclus).

im still thinking of adding blue rams/yellow rams in this mix.. whats your thought? :)

Other characin species that tend to remain in a shoal include most species in the Rosy clade of Hyphessobrycon. Rosy Tetra, Roberts Tetra, Black Phantom Tetra, Bleeding Heart Tetra, etc. These are not active swimmers, they tend to congregate in their favourite areas, generally in shade and out of filter currents.

Hope this is of some help.

this is a lot of help, hoping to get more help from you and from others who experienced keeping this fishes that i want..

Byron.

Byron 10-05-2012 12:00 PM

The discus combo seems fine. For substrate fish i would tend to avoid loaches as they can be quite active and this charging around might unsettle discus. Corys would be better, but given the higher temperature for discus there are only a few cory species that will manage, the Sterbai Cory being one that comes to mind. Check our profiles, we have several species and temp requirements are included.

Byron.

Sherry1966 10-05-2012 01:21 PM

I have a group of 10 cardinal tetra's in my tank with my angels. They get along great with no problems. I find they are very hardy little fish. (from the right place) And very beautiful little things. My hubby is legally blind so their colours really stand out for him to watch.
I also have 4" rosy barbs in there too. All live peacefully...

Maestro08 10-06-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry1966 (Post 1266379)
I have a group of 10 cardinal tetra's in my tank with my angels. They get along great with no problems. I find they are very hardy little fish. (from the right place) And very beautiful little things. My hubby is legally blind so their colours really stand out for him to watch.
I also have 4" rosy barbs in there too. All live peacefully...

the angels dont bother your cardinals at all? thats good news for me.. :) maybe it can work after all.. what kind of angels are those? can you post a picture or maybe a video? i wanna see that set up :)