Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking a 40 GAL Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-40-gal-tank-115645/)

beano129 09-27-2012 11:48 PM

Stocking a 40 GAL Tank

Hi All,

it's been a few weeks now since i've been on here - I'm after stocking ideas.

I want to give whatever freshwater fish I end up buying a really good suitable home for life without the need to further upgrade tank.

So far I've got an Eheim 1000 Lph filter and will be investing in a 520 Lph hanging filer but i'd really like to know what species of fish would be well suited for this size tank for life.

It will definitely be freshwater but I've not yet decided whether to go tropical or cold water.

I don't mind which may have a more intense routine in terms of maintenance, that doesn't bother me one bit but ideally i'd like a min of 2 fish up to a max of about 10 but i really don't know which would live in a 40 GAL environment without it being overcrowded at any point in the fish' life.

So any ideas would be extremely welcome :-)

Many Thanks

Rich

DragonFyre14 09-28-2012 07:22 PM

You could go with a cichlid tank or a tank with gouramis. Although I believe with both you have to be careful what fish you put in there because they can get aggressive with each other when you have more than one.

I think Borneo Suckers (I believe they are often referred to as Hillstream loaches) if you were to go with a river tank you could have a couple of them and some other fish.

Paradise fish are rather pretty. although males get aggressive with each other and they will eat or kill smaller fish like most tetras.

you could get a Tetraodon biocellatus (Figure 8 puffer) but it would have to be only them in the tank. and they often require a lot of maintenance.

obviously there is a ton more options. You could always go with a large livebearer tank, or fill it with danios or tetras.

beano129 10-06-2012 02:04 AM

Hey hey,

Thank you for your response - I've just been and bought the necessaries to fill my tank up with water and start the cycling process.

I went into the fish shop today and I really think their advice is terrible.

I've got a 1000 lph Eheim canister filter (a 2217) and they were telling me that it's more than big enough for the tank and that I could get a couple of little shawls of fish along with two feature fish.

That seems a big much from what i've learn't and observed since I've been visiting this forum.

Is there anything else you can suggest?

I'm leaning towards just having 2-6 fish that may grow to be a little larger rather than a few more smaller school fish.

Can you suggest anything outside of Oranda's / Blackmoors?

Thank you!

fish monger 10-06-2012 08:41 AM

How about some dwarf cichlids ? They're interesting and many are very colorful.

DragonFyre14 10-06-2012 05:29 PM

It's true there are a fair amount of fish you could put in your tank (well at least that you can buy at most pet stores.) I think if you go to Petsmart/Petco, a fair amount of the cards give fairly decent, general info as to the size of the fish. Even if you don't buy from them, I like to look at the Petsmart website, just to get a general idea of what fish to get. They show a fair amount of fish that are readily available at most places.

magpie 10-06-2012 06:28 PM

What are your water parameters?

Byron 10-08-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beano129 (Post 1267111)
Hey hey,

Thank you for your response - I've just been and bought the necessaries to fill my tank up with water and start the cycling process.

I went into the fish shop today and I really think their advice is terrible.

I've got a 1000 lph Eheim canister filter (a 2217) and they were telling me that it's more than big enough for the tank and that I could get a couple of little shawls of fish along with two feature fish.

That seems a big much from what i've learn't and observed since I've been visiting this forum.

Is there anything else you can suggest?

I'm leaning towards just having 2-6 fish that may grow to be a little larger rather than a few more smaller school fish.

Can you suggest anything outside of Oranda's / Blackmoors?

Thank you!

The Eheim 2217 is rated for a 600 liter/159 gallon aquarium. This is way more than you need on a 40g tank if you have smallish fish. If you are thinking goldfish, they do need higher filtration, but I would recommend a larger tank for goldfish, especially if you want more than one. I'll let the goldfish experts comment.

In a 40g, you could have 40-50 small fish of the correct species; or thinking of the more common tetra (like glowlights, phantom, etc) perhaps around 30. The numbers really depend upon the species, as some fish are active and need m ore swimming space, while others of the same size or even a bit larger might fare better in less space because they are quieter, less active, etc.

My point in this is that the advice fro the store was not that bad, depending upon what fish species they had in mind.

Finding 5-6 larger fish that will work in a 40g is not going to be as easy. Knowing your water parameters will help as someone suggested.

Byron.

beano129 10-15-2012 06:20 AM

Byron,

Thank you so much for your post!

I'm actually still setting the tank up so the water parameters are not yet ready.

Initially I was only ever planning on two fancy goldfish which is why I went for a 40 Gal tank.

I'm really after providing whatever fish I do buy a great home for life so if I'm better with some smaller fish (I'll be leaving it as freshwater) that will be nice and happy then I may well do that.

If I can get some larger fish then excellent as I would really like some bigger fish but for the to being, a larger tank will be out of the question.

Byron 10-15-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beano129 (Post 1275733)
Byron,

Thank you so much for your post!

I'm actually still setting the tank up so the water parameters are not yet ready.

Initially I was only ever planning on two fancy goldfish which is why I went for a 40 Gal tank.

I'm really after providing whatever fish I do buy a great home for life so if I'm better with some smaller fish (I'll be leaving it as freshwater) that will be nice and happy then I may well do that.

If I can get some larger fish then excellent as I would really like some bigger fish but for the to being, a larger tank will be out of the question.

By water parameters i was referring to your source water, presumably tap water. The GH and KH of this is important, first because it will not normally change in the aquarium (or by very little) unless it is specifically targeted by you, and second on the targeting, it is not always that easy to alter water chemistry when it comes to GH, KH and pH.

The pH also is important from the source water, as depending upon the KH this may not change or it may be subject to fluctuation in the aquarium.

Most of us suggest that it is always better--meaning easier and less expensive--to select fish that suit the source water, rather than selecting fish that will need significant adjustment of the source water. And some do, depending.

On the inter-relationship of GH, KH and pH, have a read of this:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...quarium-73276/

Byron.