Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   need help with finding lighting part! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/need-help-finding-lighting-part-115427/)

GwenInNM 09-25-2012 06:44 PM

need help with finding lighting part!

2 Attachment(s)
Bought a larger tank with hood used. Lighting is T12's with a ballast. One of the prongs on the florescent bent, I guess the socket arched, and burnt the entire socket. I need to find a replacement part, and am having a hard time.

For those of you who in DIY projects, do you know where to find this part? Do you have one laying around you want to sell to me? I can't run the fixture with one bulb out, so my tank is without lights. Any help so appreciated!

Nothing like this at Home Depot and other lighting places I've checked so far around here. Can't find a link on-line.

Hanky 09-25-2012 07:07 PM

do you know who made the light fixture?

fish monger 09-25-2012 07:24 PM

Maybe you could take the whole fixture to an electrical supply store or even a Home Depot and they could come up with something that would work without being the exact same part. A lot of those guys love the challenge and would do it for the cost of the parts.

GwenInNM 09-25-2012 10:24 PM

I don't know who made it, it's a DIY project by the person's boyfriend (now dead) who had a friend make it like 5 years ago. I sure hate to put much more money into this. I guess I could see if someone wants the challenge of refiguring it, and keeping the t-12, if I can't find the part.

The reason this configuration is good is because it has a ring that tightens around it, keeping water out. All the "newer" fixtures you can find in the store, are more risky because the water/moisture could get in.

I'm taking the part tomorrow to a store that said they can likely order it, so I'll go that route if I need to.

Gwen

Hanky 09-26-2012 12:43 AM

Here is a link to a DIY forum I frequent, someone there may be able to help.

DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum

Mikaila31 09-26-2012 12:47 AM

You just need a t 12 end cap. Which should not be hard to find. If it still does not light with the wires running straight to the pins on the bulb the its likely you fried the ballast or starter if there is one.
Posted via Mobile Device

GwenInNM 09-26-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 1256825)
You just need a t 12 end cap. Which should not be hard to find. If it still does not light with the wires running straight to the pins on the bulb the its likely you fried the ballast or starter if there is one.
Posted via Mobile Device

So it doesn't have to be just like the one I have? I did see end caps at Home depot, just not the same kind. I would have to be careful moisture doesn't get in them.

Gwen

redchigh 09-26-2012 10:06 AM

You should really be using a cover glass anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikaila31 09-26-2012 10:50 AM

Utah you should have a glass cover. Just because you have waterresistant endcaps its no reason not too. The end cap is just a mounting tool and allows easy removal of the bulbs. All you need is for those wires to touch the pins on the bulb.

GwenInNM 09-28-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 1257029)
Utah you should have a glass cover. Just because you have waterresistant endcaps its no reason not too. The end cap is just a mounting tool and allows easy removal of the bulbs. All you need is for those wires to touch the pins on the bulb.

Thanks you all. I may just have to do that, and find a different type of end cap. Have no luck so far finding what I'm looking for. I know I can have a cheap piece of glass cut at a Homedepot.

Gwen