Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Will this work in my 55 gallon? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/will-work-my-55-gallon-115359/)

allaboutfish 09-24-2012 08:16 PM

Will this work in my 55 gallon?

10-serpae tetras
1-ebjd
1-cutteri cichlid (male or female?)
1-red tailed shark
Or this?
10-cherry barbs
10-lemon tetras
2-cutteri cichlids
1-red tailed shark
The cutteri are related to convicts if you dont know what they are.
Id have a cascade 700 and an aquatech 30-60. Lots of rock work and wisteria as a floating plant to help with nitrates. Ill start with just the ebjd and the cutteri and let the ebjd grow out.
Posted via Mobile Device

smit3183 09-25-2012 12:53 AM

The red tailed shark is not compatible with the tetras and barbs, especially as it gets older.

allaboutfish 09-25-2012 12:26 PM

Really? I didnt know that. I mean they only get 6in and dont look like they have big mouths.
Posted via Mobile Device

smit3183 09-25-2012 01:06 PM

Look up top in the fish profiles and it will explain the red tailed shark. I guess you could take a chance but it is not really a community fish
Posted via Mobile Device

allaboutfish 09-25-2012 01:12 PM

It says larger rasboras and barbs.

Byron 09-25-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allaboutfish (Post 1256286)
It says larger rasboras and barbs.

Cherry barb and lemon tetra do not fall under the definition of "larger".;-)

The RTS as it notes in the profile is not really a community fish, but in a large tank with suitable robust tankmates it is fine. It is not the mouth size that is the issue, but the aggressive territoriality of this fish, which can sometimes be directed toward other fish. Substrate fish are almost always targetted.

allaboutfish 09-25-2012 02:24 PM

What would be a good schooler then or a replacement fish thats active and looks like a shark or catfish?
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 09-25-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allaboutfish (Post 1256337)
What would be a good schooler then or a replacement fish thats active and looks like a shark or catfish?
Posted via Mobile Device

For a 55g tank (4-feet length) there are a number of suitable peaceful fish. "Sharks" are not one of them, as whatever species there will be a risk, and they tend to do best singly so there will be a lot of substrate space empty. But of a similar appearance are the loaches, in the Botia and similar families. These are shoaling fish, so a group of 5-6 in a 55g is fine, for those species that do not get too large [like the Clown Loach, fofrget them]. In our profiles there are several. Botia kubotai, Botia striata, Botia almorhae, Botia histrionica; perhaps Botia rostrata though it gets larger. Check the respective profiles, some of these have issues with certain upper fish. There are also the "dwarf" spec ies like Dwarf Loach and Banded Dwarf Loach.

Among catfish, any of the corys (Corydoras or Brochis species) in groups, here 12-15 whether one species, or several with 3-5 of each species, as noted in the profiles. The Whiptail Catfish is peaceful, and has the reddish form Red Lizard Whiptail, these can be single or in groups. A Bristlenose Pleco and some of the similar species, that don't get large.

Byron.

allaboutfish 09-25-2012 03:06 PM

What about this?
10-cherry barbs
1-ebjd
1-cutteri cichlid
3-siamese algae eaters?
Am i fully stocked at this or could i add more of the barbs and sae's?
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 09-25-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allaboutfish (Post 1256373)
What about this?
10-cherry barbs
1-ebjd
1-cutteri cichlid
3-siamese algae eaters?
Am i fully stocked at this or could i add more of the barbs and sae's?
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't personally know the cichlid (Cryptoheros Cutteri ) but I gather it is quite aggressive and needs robust tankmates, so cherry barb would not work if this is true. And am I correct in thinking the ebjd is an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey? If so, this is another 8-10 inch aggressor, so small fish are not in the picture. I don't know if a 55g would be sufficient space for both these cichlids, given their temperament.

Do you have a reason for the Siamese Algae Eater, or just like the fish? If the latter, this species is best in larger groups, say six, as it has heirarchial interaction within the group. You can manage this in a 55g, though it will get crowded when they attain 6 inches. And they will need lots of hiding spots made from bogwood.