Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Florescent end caps "burning"

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Reefing Madness 
#1 ·
I bought this aquarium and hood used. I just noticed a burning smell and found one of the end caps to be very hot, so I unplugged the fixture. Where does one buy these end caps? Should I replace it and how? Does this kind of thing happen? I don't want to start a fire if this is on when I'm not home. Can someone please advise!! Here's a picture of the fixture, which has wires that connect down to a ballast. I'm posting here because it's on a saltwater tank :)

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It may have been that it was not properly connected, but look at the end result. One of the small pegs in the bulb is bent and fried, and so is the connector. Where do I get these? Ugh! I'll post a picture

Gwen

#6 ·
Most likely it was a loose connection in there. Florescent lights will arc like crazy of they're not making a good tight connection and burn up. Also if there's corrosion in there it will cause excess heat expanding the metal and making a loose connection. If you have an electrical supply store near you they might be able to help if you can take them the socket or a better bet is just online.
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
Update: I found the part from some dude on CL that has all this stuff he's getting rid of. I'm so thrilled to finally have the lights on. Went to LFS and bought a couple more lbs of live rock and some clump of strange "greens" that had a couple hitchhiker starfish.

So far my puffer has left them alone :)

Here's a pic of the tank, with one small puffer in it. I'm going to soon be trying out a Damsel or two :-D

Gwen

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.