Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Silver/White goldfish turning yellow??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/silver-white-goldfish-turning-yellow-11533/)

rae3988 02-03-2008 10:25 PM

Silver/White goldfish turning yellow???

1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons) 2.5
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water? freshwater
3. How long the aquarium has been set up? um...two or so weeks?
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know) one fantail goldfish
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? no
6. What temperature is the tank water currently? 72
7. What make/model filter are you using? tetra minifilter
8. Are you using a CO2 unit? no?
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? nope
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? five hours ago, 40%
11. How often do you perform water changes? every day/every other day 25%
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? 3x a day, usually a single sinking pellet or two small flakes
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on? there is a light on top of the tank but that's only on rarely, for an hour - two max
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time? scales turning colors?
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. they're all good, pH at 7.0
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips? liquid for PH, test strips for the rest
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank? bought fish on the 17th and behaved...i don't remember

OK, so I have a silver/white goldfish and today I just happened to notice that it seems that a few scales/lines of scales are turning a yellowish color. Not an orange or red, but yellowish. Is this something I should be concerned about?

okiemavis 02-03-2008 11:34 PM

It sort of depends. It's very normal for goldfish to turn colours as they grow older, so you shouldn't be worried about that. However, if the scales look fuzzy, slimy, etc, then it could be a fungal infection. What does it look like?

eelz212 02-03-2008 11:49 PM

he's probably being burned by his own waste in that 2.5 gallon. goldfish may change colors gradually but within two weeks is not good.

rae3988 02-04-2008 09:25 AM

So what should I do if he's being burned by his own waste? I am constantly changing the water and stirring up the junk on the bottom so it can be removed.

crystalclear83 02-04-2008 10:43 AM

First of all, goldfish need larger tanks with heavy filtration. This is because they eat a lot and therefore poop a lot. This is why a small tank like yours is causing the fish to die. They get burned by the ammonia in the water from their waste. Which causes their scales to turn dark brown. A light yellow could be on it's way to brown. You need to get some easy tropical fish like a beta splendor, or wild guppies, etc. and return your fish. Or you can get a tank of at least 20 gallons and a filter that is rated for 30g or 40. Also you wouldn't add more than 2-3 goldfish to that. Basically you have a mismatch of fish and setup. If you have anymore concerns please post them. I'm sure the fish is very unhappy and in effect you are being cruel to him or her without knowing it.

rae3988 02-04-2008 11:40 AM

There are two other goldfish in this house: both goldfish are about double the size of mine and both live in bowls that are 2 gallons and their water isn't changed all too often. They haven't had any problems. Everything else we do the same (spring water, testing, etc). My goldfish is absolutely tiny, maybe the size of my thumb at best (I'm a 19 year old young woman, my thumb isn't exactly enormous).

I'm not questioning you, I'm just perplexed.

I love Odie (his name) dearly, I really would never want to cause him harm, and I've gone through a lot with him in under a month (he had swim bladder issues at the very beginning) and I had to change from a bowl to a tank with filtration...

Also, I don't know if this is related or what, but his water smells pretty bad all the time. I'm guessing it's from the waste product (whcih is why I change the water so often) but it smells almost....plastic like, with an air of fish waste ( I wish there was a way to post smells on a board.... )

I'm going to investigate a 10 gallon tank, at least, I don't have space for a 20 gallon....is there anything I can do in the meantime/otherwise to keep him safe or to make sure he's okay?

The yellow is a very pale yellow, I tried to catch it on my camera (and without a flash it's really hard to get a clear shot)
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...dsemest016.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...dsemest011.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...dsemest018.jpg

crystalclear83 02-04-2008 12:01 PM

Look into a 20g high the space is up instead of out. They are very inexpensive and you could check craigslist. And put the other two fish in it as well. Goldfish don't belong in a bowl. Even though you do water changes often which should be whenever you decect amonia in the water. And you should test everyday in this case. Water cahnging stresses the fish out so you are creating another problem by wiping the other under the rug. I have had betas die by not changing their water in a week, so a goldfish sure isn't happy. They are just a little hardier. Get a twenty gallon and put all three in, its better for the fish. I understand that your fish are small but goldies grow large. I moved mine from a 5 to a 29, now into a 75 gallon within less than a year. Don't let your preconceptions and maybe a little stubbornness? keep your fish from being cared for properly. However young goldfish do change colors into adulthood. But no goldfish becomes brown unless they are burrned.

rae3988 02-04-2008 12:26 PM

"put all three in"

three? If I just want to stick with one fish, can the tank go smaller (I swear, despite what it sounds like I'm really not trying to be stubborn, I've just inexperienced and frustrated--at myself--for thinking this could be as simple as it's been for other people). Are there other symptoms of ammonia burn I should look for? Also, you were talking about flters that can handle 30g-40...I assume that means gallons?
Stupid question: would it be ineffective (while waiting for new tank) to get a stronger filter for this smaller tank?

How would I know the difference between aging color change and burning color change? Would it be if it doens't turn brown and is just turning orange or yellow? I tried looking online for other people who've had white goldfish that turn colors (regardless of reason) but no such luck.

crystalclear83 02-04-2008 01:39 PM

I'm familiar with white baby gold fish becoming multi colored with age. The goal is to get a tank that will house your fish as long as possible. I was trying to start you off in the right direction with a 20g. Eventually if you only intend to keep that one fish in a tank by itself for the rest of it's life it would need to be in a minimum of 30-45 gallons, gold fish get big and yours gets kinda like softball size. Swimming room is what fish need, although fantails kinda waddle around it still matters to his fish brain. It is small and if you need to start with a 10g tank and a 20g filter that's better than a 2.5 with some mini filter. yes g = gallon Another sign you can tell if a fish is in ammonia pain is to see if it's gills are working overtime cause ammonia in the water constricts the fish's capillaries making less oxygen get to the fish's body in effect suffocating it. Yes a larger filter would help but it takes weeks to become affective and it would blow your fish around in a tank that small.

okiemavis 02-04-2008 02:38 PM

Do you have a water testing kit that tests for ammonia? If there is ammonia showing up on the test, it is ammonia burn, otherwise it's something else. Also, let me point out that this is a fantail. While most fancy goldfish grow to be 12+ inches, fantails only grow to be a little over 6 inches, so you luckily won't need a GIGANTIC tank, although you will obviously need a larger one.

Just trying to defend you a little bit- I closely followed your last postings about the swim bladder disorder, so I'm aware that you know you need a larger tank, that you're fastidious about the water quality in this tiny tank and of how much money and effort you've already put into this little guy. I know you're in uni right now, and that when you move out of your dorm in early May his tank will be greatly upgraded.

On the other hand, that smell indicates that his tank is too small, no matter how much you change his water. One of the biggest problems with a 2.5 gallon tank, is that because it is so small, it's almost impossible to cycle. There is just no way to build up the biological balance needed to break down Odie's waste. Upgrading to at least a 10 gallon for now would mean that the tank could cycle, and you could rely on biological filtration, not just chemical and mechanical.