Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   Update on my tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/update-my-tank-115159/)

evanlundberg4 09-22-2012 03:45 PM

Update on my tank

So this was a happening week for my tank. Finally got my diatom boom, restocked it with some fish and today most importantly added my first corals. I picked up a small Zooanthid polyp cluster and a Toadstool mushroom leather coral. Hopefully they do well in my tank. My water parameters were all great so I figured it was time to add a few easy corals. For these particular ones I've added, side from adequate alk and calcium, light and flow, is there anything I should be doing to promote their health? I'll post a few pics later of them. The Zoas are out now and the mushroom has extended itself so they seem happy so far considering its only been a few hours on my tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reefing Madness 09-22-2012 04:17 PM

Every 2 weeks you could add Phytoplex or such to feed them.

evanlundberg4 09-22-2012 06:19 PM

Is that the phytoplankton stuff you can add for filter feeders?

Reefing Madness 09-22-2012 06:42 PM

Yup

evanlundberg4 09-22-2012 10:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well here they are. Nothing too crazy but I still think they're cool. The Zoas are opening and closing from time to time in the moonlight...I don't know if this is normal or not but they were all open earlier. The toadstool developed a light patch on part of the top a little while after I introduced it to the tank but I read this normally happens. Also I guess they can molt or something. Anyway I'm pretty pumped about it. I ordered some of that phytoplankton stuff to feed them.

Reefing Madness 09-22-2012 11:33 PM

The Zoas will eat Mysis Shrimp also, they are like meat eaters, thats really cool to see. The Toadstool will molt, when this happens it will not open and will shrink up, you will see a glaze on the surface of it. But it will pass ans will open when its done.

evanlundberg4 09-23-2012 09:16 PM

So over the last day i've noticed a little bit of odd behavior. First my toadstool mushroom instead of standing up or closing up is like drooping down over itself and the top cap part its like curling at the edges. Also tonight my Zoas are all closed up except like 2 or 3. They were open all day however intermittently one or two would close up and then reopen. Is this normal behavior? My water parameters are good with pH being 8.2, am/nitrite/nitrate all 0 and salinity between 1.022 and 1.023. I haven't tested phosphates since earlier last week but they were pretty much 0. My calcium levels were a bit low at 370-380. I ordered a calcium supplement and I changed like 3 gallons today of the water. :-?

Reefing Madness 09-23-2012 09:24 PM

Might want to up that Salinity to 1.025-1.027. the Toadstool doesn't like where its at, and its leaning over, and will tear away from whatever its attached to. Might want to try to find it another spot before it breaks off. The Zoas, will close up from time to time, but for the most part most should be open all the time, unless the've caught something to eat.

evanlundberg4 09-23-2012 09:40 PM

I've been upping my salinity slowly over the last two days. When I started my tank the LFS recommended 1.022. I'm finding though that it needs to be higher. I want to do it as slow as possible though right? Or should I just hold off on topping off for a day or so and allow the water to change at whatever rate it evaporates?

Reefing Madness 09-23-2012 10:28 PM

I've jumped it up in day day myself, once I noticed it was done on an accident.