Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Parasiite problems (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/parasiite-problems-115077/)

marshallsea 09-21-2012 08:38 PM

Parasiite problems

Sorry about the other post, I'm having comp problems also. I'll have to manually type the diag sheet here. Tank size is 20g. Current temp is 78f. Ammonia-0, Nitrites-0, Nitrates-10ppm, ph-7.5 as tested with API liquid. It is freshwater and has been running for over 5 months. Inhabitants are- 2 adult platy, 2- adolescent platy, 7-small fry, 1- adolescent swordtail, 1- small bristlenose pleco and a growing snail population. No quarantine. Live plants- arachnis, anubias, wisteria, and several plant bunches I can't name. Fake gravel and real driftwood. 2 HOB filters- Top Fin 20 stuffed with media sponge, Aqua Tech5-15 stuffed with media sponge. 5100K daylight lighting on for 12 hours a day. Tap water changed 25% once a week. Gravel top vacuumed once a week. Gravel lightly deep vacuumed one a month. Fed NLS 2x daily, NLS algea wafer once a night. Green vegs 2x a week. Trouble signs- All was good for months until I added new plants from Petco and a pleco from a local store in the same day. The next day fish started glancing. The day after 1 platy became lethargic and stayed on bottom. The next morning she was dead floating with a white worm hanging from her gills.The next day another platy stayed on the bottom so I scooped her and put her in the freezer. I thawed her out and saw a white worm in her gills. The rest of the fish were glancing . At this point I'm sure they're all doomed. I increased the temp to 88-89f for 16 days. They still glanced so for the last 6 days of heat treatment I applied API Quick Cure. It's now a week past all of this and I still have some light glancing but otherwise normal behavior. Any ideas?P.S.- 2 days after buying plants at Petco they had blocked off 3/4 of their tanks for observation, saying they had ICH.

marshallsea 09-22-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1252147)
Sorry about the other post, I'm having comp problems also. I'll have to manually type the diag sheet here. Tank size is 20g. Current temp is 78f. Ammonia-0, Nitrites-0, Nitrates-10ppm, ph-7.5 as tested with API liquid. It is freshwater and has been running for over 5 months. Inhabitants are- 2 adult platy, 2- adolescent platy, 7-small fry, 1- adolescent swordtail, 1- small bristlenose pleco and a growing snail population. No quarantine. Live plants- arachnis, anubias, wisteria, and several plant bunches I can't name. Fake gravel and real driftwood. 2 HOB filters- Top Fin 20 stuffed with media sponge, Aqua Tech5-15 stuffed with media sponge. 5100K daylight lighting on for 12 hours a day. Tap water changed 25% once a week. Gravel top vacuumed once a week. Gravel lightly deep vacuumed one a month. Fed NLS 2x daily, NLS algea wafer once a night. Green vegs 2x a week. Trouble signs- All was good for months until I added new plants from Petco and a pleco from a local store in the same day. The next day fish started glancing. The day after 1 platy became lethargic and stayed on bottom. The next morning she was dead floating with a white worm hanging from her gills.The next day another platy stayed on the bottom so I scooped her and put her in the freezer. I thawed her out and saw a white worm in her gills. The rest of the fish were glancing . At this point I'm sure they're all doomed. I increased the temp to 88-89f for 16 days. They still glanced so for the last 6 days of heat treatment I applied API Quick Cure. It's now a week past all of this and I still have some light glancing but otherwise normal behavior. Any ideas?P.S.- 2 days after buying plants at Petco they had blocked off 3/4 of their tanks for observation, saying they had ICH.

I should clarify that my question is what could be causing the glancing? I know it's not the water and if it was ICH my two treatments should have killed it.

marshallsea 09-24-2012 05:31 PM

Well, I've ruled out water problems and ICH. Researching shows that it is probably gill or skin flukes. I know it's hard to diagnose and medicate successfully but at this point I have to try something so I've decided to treat with API General Cure.

dave56 10-13-2012 08:47 AM

Prazi-Pro will help irradicate flukes. They are hard to get rid of. Might take several treatments.

fish monger 10-13-2012 02:38 PM

Definitely sounds like the Petco additions are the culprit. I just bought a betta splendens there yesterday. Luckily, he's by himself and hasn't shown any negative signs yet. My local Petco seems to have given up on fish and when I went online to purchase some accessories they were out of stock on literally everything. I don't have any experience with what your are going through. Surely other members will have great advice. Good luck !

marshallsea 10-17-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish monger (Post 1273863)
Definitely sounds like the Petco additions are the culprit. I just bought a betta splendens there yesterday. Luckily, he's by himself and hasn't shown any negative signs yet. My local Petco seems to have given up on fish and when I went online to purchase some accessories they were out of stock on literally everything. I don't have any experience with what your are going through. Surely other members will have great advice. Good luck !

I've solved the problem. The API General Cure fixed the flukes. Another part of the problem was I had been overfeeding and that caused high nitrates. All is well again.

dave56 10-17-2012 05:23 PM

Keep an eye on your fish. normally it takes more than one treatment as the eggs from the original flukes hatch, and reinfect the fish:-(

yyankeeyankeefan 10-17-2012 05:43 PM

glad your tank is ok now. i don't shop at petco anymore. my son's tank was organically high fin plattys. NOT ANY MORE! thanks to the addition of 1 platty that i bought at petco and it infected my entire tank! only 1 survived and i am sad to say it wasn't my fav. one either. my son was devistated. they brought ich into his tank. it was my original stocking so i didn't quarenteen as it was everyone at once got into the tank. some birthday present that turned out to be. by the time i treated the tank it was to late....sadly they had almost all died within 24 hours of showing treatment..... then petco tried to say that there was no ich in their tanks! when they had most of the freshwater tanks closed off because of ich.....and they were completely empty minus a couple of clearly infected fish, because everything died off. i had to yell at a manger to refund me the 70 dollars i had spent on their products. i even made them refund the price i paid on ich medicine. lol. man was that a long day!

marshallsea 10-27-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yyankeeyankeefan (Post 1278158)
glad your tank is ok now. i don't shop at petco anymore. my son's tank was organically high fin plattys. NOT ANY MORE! thanks to the addition of 1 platty that i bought at petco and it infected my entire tank! only 1 survived and i am sad to say it wasn't my fav. one either. my son was devistated. they brought ich into his tank. it was my original stocking so i didn't quarenteen as it was everyone at once got into the tank. some birthday present that turned out to be. by the time i treated the tank it was to late....sadly they had almost all died within 24 hours of showing treatment..... then petco tried to say that there was no ich in their tanks! when they had most of the freshwater tanks closed off because of ich.....and they were completely empty minus a couple of clearly infected fish, because everything died off. i had to yell at a manger to refund me the 70 dollars i had spent on their products. i even made them refund the price i paid on ich medicine. lol. man was that a long day!

It's so easy for a chain LFS to cause problems yet so difficult for a chain LFS to solve them.

marshallsea 10-27-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave56 (Post 1278134)
Keep an eye on your fish. normally it takes more than one treatment as the eggs from the original flukes hatch, and reinfect the fish:-(

Thank you. After one more treatment than recommended, flukes are gone.