Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   First Tank (55 gallon) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/first-tank-55-gallon-115/)

Bryson06 08-07-2006 01:18 AM

First Tank (55 gallon)

My neighbor sold me his 55 gallon tank and wood stand for 50 bucks.... in pretty much new condition, hes moving and dosnt want to take it... Im wondering what filter and air pump isnt the most expensive but not the cheapest...(not the best but not the worst) Its going to be a freshwater tank. Is the canister filter the best way to go there? I read alot of people have 2 filters why is this? is there not a canister or tank hung filter that can work alone and do a good job? On the air pump, is a Maxi Jet 400 powerhead pump good? Found one that pumps 106 gph and its $21.99 or is there a better way to go there? Would a single 100 or 150 watt heater work?? Well I guess those are my most pondered questions so far... The advice would be much appreciated. It is a 55 gallon.

Lupin 08-07-2006 01:29 AM

Hi and welcome,

I'd advise you to get external or internal filters. The brand Eheim works well as others have claimed. Fluval may not work and will often found to be defective. Pls avoid under gravel filter at all cost.
Air pump isn't necessary if the filter can create turbulent movements or if you're using only one heater.
A lot of people need 2 filters in order to produce efficient filtration. Underfiltration may result into faster deterioration of the water quality.
My advice is to read the sticky "Beginner's Guide" for more ideas and the Maintenance Procedure Guide in the Maintaining Freshwater Aquarium section.
With a 55 gallons tank, I'd say it's better to buy two 50 watts heaters to spread out the heat efficiently. Locate one in the turbulent area. Another can be located in an area where you can put the airstone connected to the airpump. Aim 2 watts per gallon on the heater.
Good luck.

Bryson06 08-07-2006 02:04 AM

About the airstone do you burie it under the gravel? or dose it have to be stuck to the tank with suction cups? So 2 eheim tank hung filters? Is there a GPH I should look for on these for my 55 gallon?

Lupin 08-07-2006 02:09 AM

Quote:

About the airstone do you burie it under the gravel? or dose it have to be stuck to the tank with suction cups?
No. Don't bury it. Just it leave it in the area where you're placing it. If it floats(some may float), then try to weigh down the tubing with a rock or wood.
Quote:

So 2 eheim tank hung filters?
Yes. This should be efficient. Water changes is still a must. Don't rely too much on the filters.
Quote:

Is there a GPH I should look for on these for my 55 gallon?
I'm sorry about this but I had to ask on what is GPH.

Bryson06 08-07-2006 02:10 AM

gallons per hour.

Lupin 08-07-2006 02:14 AM

The manuals usually state liter per hour.
4 liters=1 gallon
This should help you with the calculations.:)

Bryson06 08-07-2006 02:17 AM

Dose an external filter (canister) need an air pump?

Lupin 08-07-2006 02:25 AM

Quote:

Dose an external filter (canister) need an air pump?
No need. External filters can work by themselves.
Air pumps are only for sponge filters.

Bryson06 08-07-2006 02:33 AM

Have you heard anything about Rena Filstar Canister filters? Will one canister keep the water crystal clear with regular water changes and cleaning?

Lupin 08-07-2006 02:41 AM

Quote:

Have you heard anything about Rena Filstar Canister filters? Will one canister keep the water crystal clear with regular water changes and cleaning?
Never heard of its efficiency. One canister is ok. Just do 20% water changes weekly.

Let me know what fish you have and I'll try to sort out the schedule for you. Some fish poop a lot. More poop means more ammonia added. Without the beneficial bacteria, ammonia will increase which is toxic to the fish as the BB was supposed to convert them into nitrites. Then into nitrates which is the most harmless of the three.

Buy a test kit and pure ammonia. You need to cycle the tank first. Pure ammonia is available in the pharmacies or chemists.
Fishless Cycling manual is now available. It's in the sticky.:wink:

You may try cycling using zebra danios or platies but I wouldn't do that as that can be stressing for the fish.