Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Help with slime taking over my plants! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-slime-taking-over-my-plants-114981/)

RMP 09-20-2012 10:45 PM

Help with slime taking over my plants!

2 Attachment(s)
Big troubles!

Can anyone tell me what is growing on my plants?

I am currently medicating the tank for a bacterial mouth rot infection. I have carbon and zeolyte removed, only the filter running to keep water flow.

I am treating with Maracyn and Maracyn 2 together (this is day 3 of 5)

I also have a huge brown algae (and green) problem, but I really can't do anything or water changes till the meds are done (so says the box).

So, how do I get rid of this goo stuff on my plants and keep it from coming back? 40 gallon tank, 80w lights total. Up until a few days ago I was keeping tank lights on from 8 am to 11 pm. Did this do it?

I can't check the parameters...I have been using Amquel Plus to cut ammonia, nitrates, etc. while I am dosing the medication. Carbon is removed from the filter. I notice this slime is only on the plants (brown algae is all over the glass and green algae all over the driftwood). Driftwood is in the tank for 2 months and the tank is two months old also. 2 chocolate gouramis, 2 neon tetras and 6 white cloud minnows.

I notice the slime is mainly starting wherever I have cut the stems of bunches plants. It grows where the stem is cut and now the remaining stem is turning a black color where the slime is covering it. Is this algae? The plants were just purchased 3 weeks ago online and most came dead so I cut the leaves off and shortened the stems and then this started. I see the slime a lot at the base of the plants as well. The slime has spread now to plants I already had in the tank.

I can do a water change on Sunday afternoon, which will be 24 hours after the last dose of maracyn.

RMP 09-20-2012 10:55 PM

I should add the water is mainly RO, temp 78. I just recently put a little stress coat in also. Maybe that did it?

RMP 09-20-2012 11:07 PM

Maracyn has been in the tank 3 days and it is still growing so I don't think it is bacterial...

fish monger 09-21-2012 07:32 AM

Just mentioning a few things...the light duration seems awfully long. I'd cut it down to 10 hours at least, maybe 8. Your substrate seems to have some big chunks. A lot of uneaten food, etc. could get trapped down there and cause problems. You have a real chemical soup going on right now. When your treatment is finished, do a major water change including a good vacuuming. Good luck.

RMP 09-21-2012 08:24 AM

Thanks! The same thing is now / has been occuring in my 5 gallon quarantine. I have no substrate, only two large chunks of driftwood which have nothing on them and wisteria and ambulia floating up top. Quarantine tank has maracyn 1 and 2 in it Ive also added api stress coat and amquel plus.
Posted via Mobile Device