Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Oh god, the filter is clogged. Emergency help!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/oh-god-filter-clogged-emergency-help-11491/)

ruby tuesday 02-02-2008 07:11 PM

Oh god, the filter is clogged. Emergency help!!

Re-posted from another forum:

I test my water everyday for ammonia. Last night it was 4.0. I could've cried.

This sudden ammonia spike freaked me out. Nothing has changed, so I checked my filter: clogged.

Oh damn. I can't make it to the only store that sells the filters (Aqueon) because we're in the middle of a huge storm.

So I went across the road to a petsmart and bought a second filter.

A Tetra Whisper. I don't really like it but what other choice do I have?

Question:

I rinsed my aqueon filter until I can get to the store (we're snowed in and the drive wouldn't be so nice)

Should I leave it running? Will it be spilling horrible bacteria into my tank?

I finally got some stability as well.

It says to use for 7 days. Is that with or without water changes? I did a 75% water change this morning. Added some stability. About to test for ammonia again.

I don't think my one molly is going to make it. This is horrible. I ordered some more catridges online incase I can't make it out this weekend. Ugh. I feel so bad.

When I tested the water for ammonia after the cleaning it was 1.0

Also:

The extreme cold wouldn't affect the filter and catridges I just bought would it?

What normally is a 10-15 minute walk took over 30 minutes in the blizzard last night.

Ugh, this is so frustrating.

Should I do another partial water change again? (2 in one day?)

herefishy 02-02-2008 07:34 PM

The Tetra Whisper is a good quality filter. I have some on a few of my tanks, even now. Rinse your plugger filter cartridge with cool or cold water, do not use hot water under any circumstances. You may lose a few thousand bactria but that is ok. I would do 25% water changes over the next 3-4 days to make sure tht all is going well. You may want to observe your fish to make sure that thay are not being stressed too much by the elevated ammonia levels. Test daily. If the fish are stressed either change more water each time.

ruby tuesday 02-02-2008 07:38 PM

Thanks herefishy, I was reluctant about buying the whisper because I hadn't really seen any reviews about it.

I'll be getting some cartridges for my Aqueon Filter on Monday hopefully. 2 filters is better than 1 I guess! :\

Should I wait until tomorrow then for the next water change?

okiemavis 02-02-2008 07:43 PM

It's lucky you check your ammonia every day, or you might not have caught it until it was too late. Best of luck!

ruby tuesday 02-02-2008 08:10 PM

Thanks for the fast replies guys.

It looks like it was too late. My molly has died. God I feel awful.

She was a spunky one too. Ugh. :(

Did a 25% water change just now as I know dead fish can cause ammonia spikes.

This stability can't work fast enough. *crosses fingers*