Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   reef octopus 110 skimmer issues (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/reef-octopus-110-skimmer-issues-114835/)

evanlundberg4 09-19-2012 09:05 PM

reef octopus 110 skimmer issues

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone have a reef octopus 110 or similar in sump skimmer? I'm having a bit of trouble with mine. It has been running for like three or four days now and I haven't been able to get it working properly. Either the water level inside is way too low and the bubbles don't even go up into the collection cup or if i close down the gate valve the water level rises and it bubbles like crazy all the way to the top, overflows into the collection cup and fills it right up in like an hour at most. Granted it is removing gunk out of the water, however it pushes so much foam up it ends up mainly water with a slight yellow tint. Is this thing going to come into it over the next week or so as it breaks in or am I missing something? It came with directions saying tune flow with gate valve and run in 6" to 12" of water. I have it in 7 & 1/2" of water.

Reefing Madness 09-19-2012 10:02 PM

Ok, no problem. When yoiu say close the gate, are yoiu closing it all the way? Or are yoiu adjusting it? You should turn the knob until the bubbles just sit inside the neck. ?? Next, unless yoiu scubbed it out with vingar and water to get the resin out of it, it can take up to 2 weeks for it to break in.

evanlundberg4 09-19-2012 10:40 PM

I close the gate until it starts to touch the water flowing out but any more than that it just over flows. I guess I'll keep fiddling with it. As got the vinegar bath I wiped it out and rinsed it bit didn't really scrub it. Guess I'll just let it run and come into it. The skimmer has lines on the side of the cone that say mini water level and max water level and I get the water up to about the bottom of the cone but any more than that it over flows the collection cup. I have no idea what those lines are for. You can't run that much water in it. It makes way too many bubbles.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tazman 09-19-2012 10:50 PM

Just for the record it took mine almost a week to fully break in and it did the same thing yours is doing now, over flowing.

Keep making small adjustments and it will settle down.

evanlundberg4 09-19-2012 11:23 PM

When I first turned it on it made this nasty crap tree first few hours then I messed with it and its been overflowing unless I keep it open. I'll just keep adjusting it then.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reefing Madness 09-19-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1249454)
Just for the record it took mine almost a week to fully break in and it did the same thing yours is doing now, over flowing.

Keep making small adjustments and it will settle down.

:thumbsup:

evanlundberg4 09-21-2012 09:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally got it adjusted correctly. Raised it up another 1.5" out of the water so its now only in 6" of water. I also took the valve completely off it so it has just the riser pipe. By doing this I got it to bubble real nice, make some really decent skimmate and only blow a limited amount of bubbles up into the cup. It seems to be working great now. Making this nasty looking, thick yellow liquid.

Reefing Madness 09-21-2012 09:51 PM

Thats the ticket!!

Tazman 09-21-2012 11:14 PM

Told you it would take a few days and some adjusting.

Now watch the tank develop as it removes the nastyness :-)

evanlundberg4 09-21-2012 11:30 PM

I'm glad I finally got it working. I'm hoping I'll see some improvement in my tank. I'm right in the middle of the diatom bloom though...I don't think the skimmer will help with that.
Posted via Mobile Device