Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Epileptic fish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/epileptic-fish-114582/)

saguaro48 09-17-2012 12:25 PM

Epileptic fish?

While I was shopping in my LFS yesterday, a customer came in with his young son, carrying a gallon size bowl with one goldfish. I started chatting with him, usual stuff, and then a clerk came over and asked if he could be of assistance. The customer said that he thought his goldfish had epilepsy, but continued talking with me while the clerk held up the fishbowl and looked at the fish.
"I don't see anything wrong here" said the clerk.
The child said, "Well, wait til we take him out of the bowl."

I left.

SnailM 09-17-2012 10:21 PM

:rofl: Thanks for sharing!

djembekah 09-27-2012 09:52 AM

whaat? lmao

fish monger 09-27-2012 10:27 AM

They must be treating it like Klaus from American Dad.

1077 09-27-2012 10:35 AM

Not much difference in my view, to those betta keeper's that remove the fish from their tiny bowl's to clean the bowl,change water etc.
They often proclaim that they remove the fish to prevent stressing it out during cleaning's.
Not much more stressful for fish than to be removed from their home and plopped into tiny jar,bowl,cup,etc.

fish monger 09-27-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 1257950)
Not much difference in my view, to those betta keeper's that remove the fish from their tiny bowl's to clean the bowl,change water etc.
They often proclaim that they remove the fish to prevent stressing it out during cleaning's.
Not much more stressful for fish than to be removed from their home and plopped into tiny jar,bowl,cup,etc.

That's the way bettas are marketed at pet shops/departments. To me, if there was ever a fish that should not be "kept" it's a betta. There's just not a good way to provide for them in a fairly natural manner. I've done the bowls and the appropriate community route. Neither were successful in my definition of successful. The first question a lot of people ask when they provide a nice space for a betta is "What else can I put in here?"

djembekah 09-27-2012 09:29 PM

i don't take my bettas out for cleanings anymore >.< they are much happier just running away from the vacuum.

DragonFyre14 10-02-2012 09:37 PM

I thin they should know that fish naturally flop around when they are out of the water. My question is why we're they taking the fish out of the water? If they don't know that fish can't be taken out of the water like that I don't think they should really be owning fish.... But just my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

LebronTheBetta 10-09-2012 03:19 PM

I was wondering this, too. I have LED lights and I was worried if my fish could get epilepsy. Lol

DragonFyre14 10-09-2012 04:12 PM

Fish can have epilepsy, although its usually as a result of poor water quality, toxins, disease, injury, and electrocution. I don't think LED lights will cause seizures.