Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   all is well that ends well (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/all-well-ends-well-11450/)

Mirta 02-01-2008 03:56 PM

all is well that ends well

I've got a story with a happy ending. I bought some live food (bloodworms, I guess you call it) for my tanks and offered some to tetras as well. Those pygmy neons were the most active hunters! Cardinals also were trying to bite more than they could swallow. In some time they all made pigs of themselves and my tiny teenage black tetras were looking like balloons!

The next morning I came up to feed them and got a shock having discovered that one of my favourite cardinals was floating belly up in the weeds! At first I thought he'd kicked the bucket, but then I looked closer and realised that he was quite alive and even looking at me. He was obviously in pain, but there was nothing I could do! He didn't lose colour, but his belly was swallen so that the red line was not consistent and he looked like a very fat neon.

Nothing doing, I had to go to work, so I just left him there, as my quarantine tank needed preheating before I could place him there.

When I came up to that tank in the afternoon I discovered that he was already swimming but in jerky movements keeping his tail up. In a quarter of an hour as I was watching he freed himself of all ... gas he had in his swollen belly. It was so strange to see tiny bubbles come out of his body...

He is alive and well, sparkling turquoise blue and red and swimming in correct position. We all were very relieved to see him recover!

Was that condition caused by the bloodworms I gave them? Should I stop giving them to tetras?

jeaninel 02-01-2008 04:33 PM

Fishy farts! How funny! Glad to hear he's doing fine.

I don't know if the bloodworms could have caused that but the fact that it happened after he gorged himself sure sounds suspicious, doesn't it.

crazy4fish 02-01-2008 06:35 PM

so glad to hear that he is okay. i would have to assume that it was the worms that did it. but you could probably still feed them the worms if you give them less. just a few and not eniugh to gorge themselves. :wink: but if it happens again i would stay away from the worms. :D

Falina 02-01-2008 07:26 PM

Bloodworm is a good food for them once in a while. Limit them to once, or at a push twice a week as a treat as they are one of the foods most likely to cause bloat.

Also remember that when you are feeding you should only feed as much as the fish can consume in a few minutes and then remove any uneaten food, or do it very gradually so that there is no need to remove anything. That way it will stop them from overeating and making themselves ill from it.

crazy4fish 02-02-2008 09:25 AM

what about blood worms make fish bloat?(more than other food anyway)

okiemavis 02-02-2008 12:23 PM

As far as I know, lots of live foods have a tendency to do that. Blood worms are high in fat and low in nutrients- just the way a bunch of fried chicken would make you bloat.

Mirta 02-03-2008 04:11 PM

Thanks for advice! :D

Sounds like we should avoid giving bloodworms to the little guys as I do not want to see them suffer.

I did give them this treat only once a week. I always feel like taking risks with them since live food caries disease.

Thank God it's all over. The little glutton looks happy now. I think it's a girl - having a round belly. :)