Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Panda Garra Stocking (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/panda-garra-stocking-114433/)

emeraldsky 09-15-2012 11:17 PM

Panda Garra Stocking

I have a 40g Breeder(36 x 18 x 16) which is currently set up, but not ready for fish yet, I still need to plant it so it looks how I want.

I'm poking around for stocking ideas though and fell in love with Panda Garras. Ive also really liked tiger barbs and thought they would look neat together, they kind of match to me!

-How many panda garra can i keep comfortably in a 40g breeder?

-Can panda garra and tiger barbs be kept together? The tiger barb school would be at the very least 10, more likely around 15.

-Any recommendations for a centerpiece fish that has a similar look to the panda garra and tiger barbs, if they can be kept together?

Thank you!

Byron 09-16-2012 12:25 PM

On the Garra (Garra flavatra), a group of 4 would be best; the fish will establish a pecking order, but with suitable aquascaping (fine gravel, river rock boulders, pieces of wood) providing several hiding spots this should work. Kept singly, the fish may take a dislike to other fish in the tank apparently.

In its habitat the fish occurs with various rasbora, danio, but no barbs [see below]. I've no personal experience, but I would caution on having any similarly-marked fish like Tiger Barb or Black Ruby Barb above the garra. The Black Ruby would be safer, as the Tiger might well nip the garra, but again the similarity may be an issue.

According to data in the scientific description of this species by the noted ichthyologist Dr. Sven Kullander (2005), sympatric species he found in the habitat included Rasbora daniconius, Rasbora rasbora, Aplocheilus panchax, Lepidocephalichthys berdmorei, Batasio elongatus, Olyra burmanica, Pterocryptis cf. berdmorei and Sicyopterus fasciatus along with unspecified members of Danio, Devario, Rasbora, Pangio, Channa, Mastacembelus and Anguilla.

Byron.

emeraldsky 09-17-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1245442)
On the Garra (Garra flavatra), a group of 4 would be best; the fish will establish a pecking order, but with suitable aquascaping (fine gravel, river rock boulders, pieces of wood) providing several hiding spots this should work. Kept singly, the fish may take a dislike to other fish in the tank apparently.

In its habitat the fish occurs with various rasbora, danio, but no barbs [see below]. I've no personal experience, but I would caution on having any similarly-marked fish like Tiger Barb or Black Ruby Barb above the garra. The Black Ruby would be safer, as the Tiger might well nip the garra, but again the similarity may be an issue.

According to data in the scientific description of this species by the noted ichthyologist Dr. Sven Kullander (2005), sympatric species he found in the habitat included Rasbora daniconius, Rasbora rasbora, Aplocheilus panchax, Lepidocephalichthys berdmorei, Batasio elongatus, Olyra burmanica, Pterocryptis cf. berdmorei and Sicyopterus fasciatus along with unspecified members of Danio, Devario, Rasbora, Pangio, Channa, Mastacembelus and Anguilla.

Byron.

Thank you Byron,
I'll look into other alternatives.