Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   cottonlike stuff just below the gills (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/cottonlike-stuff-just-below-gills-11440/)

tenpaull 02-01-2008 09:20 AM

cottonlike stuff just below the gills

Hello! i've had this problem for 2 times already, the first one was a complete disaster and it ate up my male betta's flesh and killed him :(
the 2nd one I saw in my female betta just tonight, i believe it is fungus but i may be wrong. it is a cottonlike-wooly white substance just below or near the gill area.. it looks like a lot of groups as i can see circles between them.
I am sorry but i dont have a test kit :( [costs plenty to where i live]
I put her in a 1.5 gal container, i put indian almond leaf extract on her water and do often water changes.. what could be the problem so i know what to do next time?
Last time i used methylene blue and salt but i guess it was too late.. This time i still am using meth. blue + salt and keeping my fingers crossed. hope you can help me save her! Thanks!!

Blaxicanlatino 02-01-2008 12:36 PM

go to bettatalk.com

sounds like its a fungus. Fungus can put holes in their heads!!! creepy

keep the water as clean as possible and use half tablespoon of aquarium salt per gallon.

hope all goes well 8)

okiemavis 02-01-2008 12:45 PM

I would say this is either Cotton-Wool disease, or Fish-Fungus- both fungal fish infections which form as white cotton tufts on the outside of the fish. If not treated early, these can become an internal infection as well, so it's best to treat quickly (which may explain why the last one didn't make it). Methylene blue can be overrated, but it is good at starving the fungus of light, which will kill it. Unfortunately, with fungal skin infections, secondary bacterial infections are common. If you manage to stop the fungus, or if the meth blue is not working, I would recommend a round of Bettafix (diluted Melafix, you can do this yourself by adding 10 drops of Melafix/gallon). Just make sure you change out all of the meth blue water first, as I don't know about drug interactions.

Melafix is a general antibacterial. It greatly helps speed healing and prevents infection and scarring of these wounds.

tenpaull 02-01-2008 08:44 PM

is there any alternative medicine? what is tghe active ingredient for melafix. It is very hard to acquire in my area so I hope there is another cure.

2nd day update:

still lingering in the water surface, not moving.
did another water change(100%) , would this be better in this case? rather than partial water changes?
Still not eating, fed her frozen bloodworms. had to siphon them out after 5 mins(she completely ignored it! before she used to gobble them up in seconds)

okiemavis 02-01-2008 09:11 PM

So you've decided to stop treating with methelene blue and the melafix instead? What made you decide to switch? I just want to make sure you aren't mixing both, as I don't know about the interactions.

I'm not sure what the active ingredient in Melafix is, it's some sort of herbal extract. However, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find it. Even Petco carries it where I live. Do you live in the US?

tenpaull 02-02-2008 08:40 PM

i don't live in the US :)
Continued with methylene blue, and today she starting eating the bloodworms i gave her :D
Planning to continue treatment with regular water changes and see how it goes! Thanks everyone!

SST 02-02-2008 08:46 PM

Melafix is made from an extract from tea trees. The active ingredient is melaleuca 1.0%.

100% daily water changes are good. You want to keep the water as pristine as possible.

Good luck!