Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   How to use the aquarium salt ? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/how-use-aquarium-salt-114220/)

Cehszar 09-13-2012 09:30 PM

How to use the aquarium salt ?

I have a serious case of high nitrites (5 ppm) in my tropical community 55 gal. tank, yesterday I planted 4 live plants, Anubias barteri (nana), Ludwigia arcuata, Lilaeopsis brasilensis and Dracaena sanderiana (I know, I know...). It's safe to use aquarium salt?.
As I've said in other threads, my live stock is composed by Gouramies, Mollies, Loaches, Danios and CAE.

Thanks in advance ! :-)

AbbeysDad 09-14-2012 07:33 AM

No....No....and No period.

Although salt is sometimes used to treat illness (along with elevated temperature), freshwater fish do not require or appreciate salt in the water.

1077 09-14-2012 07:40 AM

Water changes are fastest,least stressful for fishes, way to deal with nitrite's/ammonia.
As I said yesterday in your other post,,perhap's daily 50 % water changes until nitrites read zero would be best way to lower nitrites.
Reduce feeding's to once a day,don't add any more fish for the next three week's.

Salt at one tablespoon per five gallon's lessen's the effect's of nitrite poisoning, and you may often see salt in crowded store tank's where too many fishes are being kept in too small tank's, but this is not nearly as effective,nor as fast as water changes.

Cehszar 09-14-2012 09:40 AM

Thanks!
I wll continue doing the water changes then.

Boredomb 09-14-2012 11:11 AM

Just wanted to add that Dracaena sanderiana is not a aquatic plant and if left completely under water it will die. Best to have the leaves above the water line or taken out of the tank altogether and grown in a pot.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cehszar 09-14-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 1242743)
Just wanted to add that Dracaena sanderiana is not a aquatic plant and if left completely under water it will die. Best to have the leaves above the water line or taken out of the tank altogether and grown in a pot.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes I did read about the Dracaena too late, it's a real shame, the plant is really beauty, so, I guess I must to find something else for the background, I like the Aponogeton ulvaceus or the Crinum thaianum.

Cehszar 09-17-2012 01:08 AM

I went for the Crinum thaianum, two for the background in the middle, another Ludwigia arcuata to replace the one that the boys ate (on the right corner), and one Bacopa caroiliniana for the left side, I'm still doing the daily water changes, although the NO2 are on the 5 ppm yet, I guess I'm on the right way, cuz the boys are swimming with no problems, and eating amazingly well.