Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish-diseases/)
-   -   water change woes (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish-diseases/water-change-woes-114168/)

evanlundberg4 09-13-2012 11:24 AM

water change woes

So I did a water change last night in my saltwater tank. I pre mixed my water the day before and I added a water treatment as well. Before I changed my water I also put a heater and a spare power head in the buckets, tested my water for correct pH and salinity. I figured that there would obviously be some disturbance in my tank with this project but this morning I woke up and my two damselfish had changed to a darker color and were laying on the bottom looking like they were gasping. Things got worse - they started swimming erratically and were getting blown around by the power heads. When I came home from work one was laying on the bottom and he ended up dying. Now the other one is drinking around the surface. I have no idea what I could've done. I put an air stone in to aerate the water. My firefish seems to be alright...eating, swimming normally. Anyone have any idea what is wrong?
Posted via Mobile Device

92smokeaccord 09-13-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evanlundberg4 (Post 1241497)
So I did a water change last night in my saltwater tank. I pre mixed my water the day before and I added a water treatment as well. Before I changed my water I also put a heater and a spare power head in the buckets, tested my water for correct pH and salinity. I figured that there would obviously be some disturbance in my tank with this project but this morning I woke up and my two damselfish had changed to a darker color and were laying on the bottom looking like they were gasping. Things got worse - they started swimming erratically and were getting blown around by the power heads. When I came home from work one was laying on the bottom and he ended up dying. Now the other one is drinking around the surface. I have no idea what I could've done. I put an air stone in to aerate the water. My firefish seems to be alright...eating, swimming normally. Anyone have any idea what is wrong?
Posted via Mobile Device

what are your parameters?it sounds like ammonia poison.

evanlundberg4 09-13-2012 06:13 PM

Yeah that's what I thought at first but my tests are showing nothing for ammonia, nitrite or nitrate and a pH of 8.1. My water is also at about 400 for calcium and 9 dkh for alkalinity.
Posted via Mobile Device

92smokeaccord 09-13-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evanlundberg4 (Post 1241856)
Yeah that's what I thought at first but my tests are showing nothing for ammonia, nitrite or nitrate and a pH of 8.1. My water is also at about 400 for calcium and 9 dkh for alkalinity.
Posted via Mobile Device

test you water from the source aka tap or after ro/di system.if there is any ammonia that could have killed them even tho its not showing up now cause you're tank ate it by now.

evanlundberg4 09-13-2012 06:46 PM

Ah I see....I will do that. I guess the well had a bleach treatment a few weeks back that I didn't know about
Posted via Mobile Device

Reefing Madness 09-13-2012 07:50 PM

Have you watched those Damsels chase each other prior to your WC? I always advise against those fish, as they will chase each other to the point of death. But, one never knows. If your other fish is fine, thats what my guess is. They killed each other.

wake49 09-13-2012 08:08 PM

How much water did you change?

evanlundberg4 09-13-2012 09:42 PM

Yeah they chased each other a little bit. Mostly one that was slightly bigger chased the other one but they were healthy before. The bigger one actually died first. Additionally as the night has gone on my firefish isn't doing so well either. I figured he was just stressed because he was swimming and he ate but now I'm not so sure. He doesn't seem to have any strength. I changed like 10 gallons out of 55 so just under 20 percent. I'm at a loss and its looking like a newby move cost me my tank. Sucks
Posted via Mobile Device

wake49 09-13-2012 09:56 PM

Was the original water from bleach treated water?

evanlundberg4 09-13-2012 10:14 PM

I used well water when I first filled the tank but that was before it had the bleach treatment.
Posted via Mobile Device